Chapter 23

By the time I got back, it was too late.

I pulled up to the court house and saw Andy and Joe standing outside, talking to each other. Standing at the bottom of the steps and scattered around were journalists, paparazzi, and news reporters, all ready to get whatever they could on whatever was happening.

I heaved a sigh and slid a pair of sunglasses on, though I didn't feel like it would do me any justice. I turned the car off and got out, pushing my way through the hoard of nosy bitches and bastards who tried to get my input on the situation, shoving their cameras and microphones in my face as I approached the guitarist and drummer. I ignored their pleas for me to speak, keeping my head low as I walked up the steps to what seemed to be (for now) the only safe place from the pests. The closer I became, the quieter Andy and Joe's conversation got, to the point where both of them were struck silent.

"Hey," I greeted, taking off my sunglasses for them to recognize me. They both cocked their eyebrows in confusion, trying to determine my identity. "It's me. Patrick."

"Patrick?" Joe repeated, "You don't look like Patrick."

"I dyed my hair," I slipped my hands into the pockets of my pants as Joe nodded his head in recognition. "What's going on, though? Why is everyone here? I don't remember telling anyone I was coming..."

"What do you mean?" He retorted, Andy averting his gaze elsewhere, "We're not here for you, Patrick. We're here for Pete's trial."

"What?"

"Yeah. He shot both Brendon and Elisa in the head two nights ago," He informed me, "Didn't you hear? It's been all over the news."

Did he just say what I thought he said?

"Oh my god, you seriously didn't know?" He inquired when I didn't respond, astonished.

I lost the chance to answer him when the doors beside him and Andy were pushed open, my best friend being shoved outside by a group of policemen. He slowly glanced over and saw me, his eyes widening.

"Patrick!" He exclaimed, a smile growing on his face.

"Pete!" I retorted, as the crowd of reporters surged towards him, asking him to comment on the verdict. Of course, the policemen shouted at them to leave him alone and to move out of the way.

"Patrick!"

They kept pushing Pete forward, farther away from me.

"Pete!"

I went to follow him as he was led to the police car I was conveniently parked behind, but I didn't get very far - there were too many people in the way, too much chaos going on.

"Patrick!" He screamed, squirming in the men's arms in an attempt to turn around so he could face me, but to no avail. "Patrick! You need to visit me! We need to-" Before he could finish, he was thrown into the back seat and the door was slammed shut behind him. The policemen slipped into the front and closed the doors behind them, the media swarming the vehicle before it sped away.

I stood there in awe, watching as the car drove away to the place I never wanted to go to again, to the place I wouldn't even want my worst enemies to go to. And there was my best friend, being taken to that place. My best friend. That place.

You need to visit me.

*****

"I'm sorry, sir, but he's not allowed visitors."

"You don't understand. I need to talk to him," I pressed, slamming my hands down on the metal counter as my heart pounded against my chest.