The Forbidden Forest - VII

Conflict

As the first hints of morning light struggled through the dense canopy of tall trees, Bhaskar Pandit found himself unable to remember when he had fall asleep. The forest remained shrouded in mist, and the iron guards he had observed the night before were nowhere to be seen.

"Maybe they've gone on patrol," Bhaskar thought, scanning his surroundings carefully. The air was cool and thick with fog, but other than that, everything seemed peaceful.

Ahead of him, Bhaskar spotted the massive doors where he had seen the three tall guards. The doors were enormous, about 20 feet in length, crafted from old, thick wood that seemed to merge seamlessly with the natural growth of the trees around them. Intrigued, Bhaskar hurried over and tried to push the doors open.

Despite his formidable strength, the doors didn't budge—not even a little.

"What the hell?" he muttered under his breath. "Giant doors for giant people." He chuckled at the thought, but his amusement quickly faded as he pondered the reality of encountering such beings. Just on the left side, he noticed rags that looked centuries old, covering what appeared to be another door.

Bhaskar decided to prepare for whatever might come next. He gathered stones and leaves, quickly sparking a fire. Once the fire was set, he slipped back to his hiding spot from the previous night.

"What if the giants come?" he considered, his heart pounding with a mix of fear and excitement. Even for a seasoned warrior like himself, the possibility was daunting.

It took only a few minutes before he saw movement in the area.

Bhaskar peeked from his hiding spot, watching as the space around the doors cleared. The rugs are burned down. He evaluated his next move and then swiftly crossed to what looked like a minor cave entrance opposite the giant door.

The compelling force of curiosity, so deeply ingrained in humans, often leads us to defy and surpass our most deepest fears.

"This is no castle," he whispered to himself, "but it might lead somewhere important."

As he stood at the entrance of the cave, Bhaskar took a deep breath, ready to explore further. He was in unknown territory, far from the battlefields he was familiar with, but his warrior spirit urged him on. "Time to see where this leads and what these giants are guarding," he murmured, stepping cautiously into the cave, prepared for anything that might come his way.