Ashvins - II

In the mid-17th century, amidst the tumultuous climes of rural India, a storm was brewing, both in the heavens and on the ground. The night sky, unusually aglow with a sinister red hue, mirrored the anxiety of a small village grappling with a dark reality. Lieutenant Hawthorne, a British soldier and a secretive occultist, had been capturing twins from nearby villages under the cover of darkness.

On one such eerie night, the distressed mother of Narendra and Rajendra rushed to the house of Dhiren, the village leader. Her words tumbled out in panicked bursts as she explained how her sons were dragged away by Hawthorne's men.

Dhiren, a robust man known for his leadership and valor, immediately understood the gravity of the situation

Dhiren, a robust man known for his leadership and valor, immediately understood the gravity of the situation. Beside him, his wife, Aditi, equally formidable and known for her sharp intellect, stood ready to act. Together, they were not just leaders but warriors of their community.

"Gather the men, Aditi. We must move quickly," Dhiren commanded, his voice a mix of determination and concern.

As they hurried out into the stormy night, Aditi responded with equal urgency, "I'll alert the others. We know Hawthorne's route; he must be taking them to his encampment in the old fort."

The couple, along with a band of brave villagers, moved stealthily but swiftly through the thick underbrush of the forest, guided only by the ominous red light that seemed to pulse in the direction of their destination. The path was treacherous, muddied by the relentless rain, but their resolve did not waver.

As they approached the old fort, the sounds of distant chanting grew louder, an eerie reminder of Hawthorne's occult practices. Dhiren signaled for silence and gestured towards a low wall, where they could oversee the fort's entrance.

Peering over, they spotted Hawthorne's men, guarded but not expecting an attack from the villagers. Dhiren whispered to his group, "They think we are weak, simple villagers. Tonight, we show them we are more. We fight not just for our sons but for all our children."

Aditi, clutching a Ramdao, a traditional sacrificial sword used in the Hindu ritual sacrifice of animals, also used to harvest crops, added, "Remember, everyone, the surprise is on our side. For our families, for our twins!"

With a fierce cry, they launched their attack, catching the guards off-guard. The battle was intense and chaotic. Dhiren and Aditi fought side by side, their movements synchronized and determined. After a grueling fight, they breached the fort and rushed to the dungeon where Hawthorne held the twins.

The fort, hastily constructed and poorly camouflaged against the dense forest backdrop, was eerily silent after the heavy battle.

Amidst the growing despair, one of Dhiren's scouts signaled from the far end of the camp, where he had detained a wounded soldier. The soldier, young and visibly frightened, sat bound against a tree, his eyes darting nervously as Dhiren approached.

Dhiren squatted in front of the soldier, his presence commanding yet not unkind. "Where are the twins? Where did Hawthorne take them?" he asked, his voice low but firm, laced with an intensity that made the soldier shrink back.