A Little Lie and a Little Teasing

Lunch was a dread.

Ceana didn't show up. Fionn and Ian had gotten into trouble. Leora was now sitting at the table with the adults, alone.

She wanted to share some words with them other than, "Can you pass this and that."

But she didn't want to interrupt adult conversations.

She had gotten used to eating the strange food here, it tasted very good and she wasn't going to taint the taste by picturing an animal that might have made her thrown up.

Caitir was telling her husband and others at the table about Leora wanting to help in Gaelic.

"She doesn't like to sit around and do nothing. Nothing is bad about that," Aodh said.

"Aye, but I feel bad letting her do so, she is neither a maid nor kin and I don't feel right having a guest do chores," his wife replied.

"Do what you see fit," Aodh said and let his wife think about the eager girl.

And yet again, Caitir didn't allow her to help clean up lunch, but Leora didn't mind, after the Lady let her set the table Leora felt a little victory.

With Ceana nowhere in sight and the boys- she liked to refer them that way- were busy, she decided to let herself explore. She couldn't stay in her room forever.

She had no place specific in mind but she ventured through hallways and various rooms and after a half hour or so she was in the front courtyard.

I need some fresh air.

She awed in the scene of the large walls that kept this castle and didn't realize how tall they were compared to when she looked at them from inside.

She walked along the walls and saw the stables. She looked inside and saw an elderly man inside.

Nodding, she smiled at him and left.

I should learn a little Gaelic, just to be nice. I can't even say 'hello' or 'thank you'.

She saw as she passed the side yard where Fionn and Ian were practicing.

Her eyes widened as she realized that they were in nothing but their léinte and full of sweat.

She turned around.

No. You can't let them see you. They're improperly clad, tsk tsk, you shameful girl.

But she couldn't help herself anyways.

She peaked and saw their harsh swings and swift blocks.

This was real. She had never witnessed an actual sword fight before, even if it was just practice.

They didn't have any intentions to hurt each other, but still it didn't take away from the action.

Fionn was so caught up with Ian's movement and his own anger that he hadn't held enough strength when the younger cousin had knocked his sword right out of his hand.

The sword landed on the ground several strides away.

They looked at each other and took a break.

Ian had seen Leora from the corner of his eyes, but he wondered if Fionn did, too, and perhaps that was why had lost focus.

It wasn't.

Ian looked over to where she had stood, she wasn't there, or so he thought.

Her dress was peering out from the side of the stables.