Pastries, Privy, and Chest Problems

The three reentered the kitchen, realizing that now many of the occupants turned their attention towards them wondering why they had rushed out in such frenzy earlier.

A woman approached them, with a curious and warm smile.

She sported the same dark coffee hair as Fionn with hazel eyes.

A few lines shown in her skin to display proof of her age, she was not older than Leora's mother.

"You're back," Caitir said in Gaelic wondering what mischief they had accomplished.

"Aye, we were helping the lass find her clothes. She thought they were important," Fionn replied.

Caitir held questioning eyebrows and then moved her gaze along to rest upon Leora.

Remembering that Caitir had been standing in the kitchen before Leora's fuss, Leora was yet red again from embarrassment upon realizing that the woman before her was Fionn's mother.

There seemed no end to the amount of times she was making an utter fool of herself.

"I'm so sorry about before. Please excuse my ill-mannered behavior," Leora said hoping that the mother would overlook her rude first impression. "I know how this might seem and I can assure you—"

She was cut off as Fionn interrupted her, explaining that Caitir did not understand English, and he introduced them in their respective languages. He also translated Leora's apology and spoke on her behalf in order to give his mother a better impression of her.

Caitir smiled warmly and welcomed Leora to the center of the kitchen where on an island counter top laid trays full of warm biscuits and pastries.

Ian translated for his aunt and told Leora to take as many as she liked.

As Ian recommended which types were his favorites to Leora, Fionn pulled his mother aside and caught her up on the current situation.

"She looks better. Rest did her well," Caitir said in a low voice, even though Leora couldn't understand them.

"Aye. She was a little bit worried about her clothes, but when we went to find them Beathag had already burned them," Fionn explained their earlier disappearance.

"Why would she want those?" Caitir asked.

"Haven't got the foggiest idea, but afterwards she relaxed. She talks and even smiles, too."

"Do you know if she'll stay?"

"I think she will. She hasn't really given a definite response."

"What about where she's from? Your father hasn't told me anything about her yet," Caitir inquired.

Fionn had just began to tell her about where Leora declared herself from and was going to tell her about his suspicions when he realized it wasn't the time or place to do so. Not when there were so many ears in the kitchen who could hear. And if what he suspected was false and rumors had already spread, Leora would be ruined. So he decided that he would continue the conversation later, once they were alone.

~*~*~

Ian watched her eat baked sweets before his eyes.

Her face was priceless.

"You all might have saved me, but I doubt you'll be able to do it again. These pastries must be heaven." Leora made sure to not leave any crumbs.

She had a hearty appetite and he enjoyed seeing her satiate herself.

"Why does Fionn's mother not speak English?" Leora finally asked.

"Not many people do know English here. It isn't used as much since it is the language of those inhabiting England, many refrain from using it. The native language here is Gaelic, and only a few know English. That would be my father, Fionn's father, Maon, Fionn, a few others more and me of course. Only because when my father had leadership duties to resolve a few years ago that had taken him to England, he had taken us along as well. Maon and Aodh knew English like my father since they were our ages, and so they had taken it upon themselves to teach us. Someday I will be the laird and if there ever comes a time where I need to travel to England it will be useful," Ian explained.