Opportunity Lost

The men retired to sleep before dessert that night. If they wanted to wake up early enough and alert enough they needed to get some decent sleep.

After the meal, Leora wanted to stay but she couldn't quite carry a conversation with the worn out Caitir or the quiet Aileas.

Ceana bid her mother and the guests that remained good night and saved Leora as she, too, bid her good nights and left the dining hall in a scurry.

"Where are we going?" Leora asked as Ceana dragged her in the opposite direction of Leora's room.

"To my bedchamber, course."

Before Leora could let anything else out her mouth, they already climbed the stairs and were in the private wing of the castle. The males were sleeping, she remembered and shouldn't say anything to wake them, no matter how thick these stone walls were.

As they passed down the hallway she wondered whose room was whose.

Was this door Ian's or Fionn's?

The fact that Ian could be on the other side of the door gave her chills. She felt so close, yet so far.

During dinner they went on as if nothing had occurred between them, which she was thankful for, but she couldn't let go of the current situation. It was going to be a month and she still couldn't feel at ease around him. Choosing to sit next to him during dinner was a mistake, so she focused on Colin throughout the whole meal.

This wasn't normal.

I'm going to have to talk to him.

"Here we go," Ceana said as she stopped in front of a door, opened it and pushed Leora inside while closing it behind them.

"What are we doing?" Leora asked.

"Well, the night after the feast is the games, so I thought you would want a nice brat to wear over your dress when it gets cold," said Ceana as she headed towards her chest. "Plus you should have one just in case."

Two girls looked through the embroidered cloaks that were prettier than the ones she had seen in the town. They were beautiful, and all done by Caitir, Leora inferred.

Despite the men who might have been sleeping next door, the girls let a few giggles escape as they spent the night trying on clothes and accessories, even giving each other opinions and advice on their fashion.

Ceana wondered if this is what it was like to have a sister. The warm feeling of caring for one another and sharing everything. She was glad that she had a found a friend in Leora. So caught up in her feelings for the foreigner, she forgot she was under suspicions for being a spy. After so many strange conversations with Leora, seeing how much basic knowledge of Scotland she lacked, Ceana had thought her to be a horrible spy. This left her the only conclusion that seemed plausible, that she had been in an accident and couldn't remember things.

Pity began to wash over her as she looked at Leora placing a jeweled pin on her brat.

"Come here, Leora, 'tis on a bit crooked," Ceana said motioning the auburn haired girl. "Let me fix it for you."

"Thanks, Ceana."

"'Tis no problem," Ceana used her hands deftly as she straightened out the brat and secured the brooch in place. "Leora, I wanted to thank you for being patient with me. I know at first I did not warm up to you. But you did not turn me away no matter how many times I have snubbed you."

Leora looked up at Ceana. For once, Leora didn't know what to say.

"I want you to know that I'm glad we're friends," the dark haired haired girl admitted with a genuine smile.