29. Mackenzie

Mackenzie

Something wasn't adding up. Which wasn't surprising since the scientists were shady assholes. Especially Arlo.

His entire vibe was smug and bullshit.

But he was giving us something so I had to pretend to eat it.

What he was saying didn't make sense with what we knew though. They wanted to change our DNA? Make werewolves and humans similar? Why? That was the question he wasn't answering.

Every time the scientists worked on something big, they were trying to answer a question. What was the question?

I knew Ryken felt it too. We were being herded like sheep into doing what they wanted and we may have fallen into the trap they had set but we hadn't fallen blindly.

We knew they were fucking with us, well I did. I was pretty sure Ryken was smart enough to figure it out on his own too.

"So what does the drug do to us when it enters our system? How does it make it adapt to recreate the desire?" I asked, looking over the man strapped to the hospital bed.

Arlo turned on a projector in the room and up popped a very convenient slideshow that had the chemical components of the drug they were using.

Ryken scoffed and strode forward, slamming the laptop down that was projecting the information. He got in Arlo's face, his jaw clenched, his spin straight.

"I don't want some bullshit information that you had ready to show us. We have agreed to the punishment for this information now give me something worth that," Ryken snarled at Arlo.

Arlo had perfected the art of smirking though and it widened into a toothy grin that made my heart stutter.

"Oh, I can assure you, nothing is worth that. But that is something you will learn in time. As for now," Arlo said, pulling out his phone. He pressed the timer on it and a hiss came from my bracelet.

I sucked in a breath as an icy-cold liquid injected into my wrist.

Ryken grunted as his bracelet made the same sound.

The glowing blue liquid that was in the vials on our wristbands, disappeared into our bloodstream and I froze.

We had gotten nothing. Nothing we could use and now we were getting punished.

I had known it was a possibility but I hadn't realised how big of one until that moment.

I looked at the man strapped to the bed again, wincing as my stomach started cramping.

Was I going to end up like him? Was that what would happen after the drug had gone through me? It was terrifying.

I shuddered and my head swam. I clammed up instantly, my stomach tightening in a feral, delicious way.

"Damn it," I gripped the edge of the counter along the far wall, hanging my head, trying to steady my breathing.

"Give us something," Ryken said under his breath, his voice menacing and threatening. The hint of Alpha in there did not make my situation any easier to handle. Heat flared in me and I cleared my throat so the moan couldn't escape.

I was throbbing between my thighs, desire curling through my organs, stopping to pool in my core.

Arlo leaned in close, looking over at me then grinning, "You should have known better than to attempt this, Alpha. But since you are clearly a tad behind let me catch you up, giving you a clue as to your reason for being here," Arlo taunted.

Ryken's fist clenched at his sides, "Say what you want to say and get on with it before I remove your vocal cords," he said in a viscous way that made me sure he was feeling everything I was.