Chapter Nine

I was deeply ashamed of how I'd acted. Never before had I decided to call someone out and then actually done it. It was my luck there would be a good reason for him not calling. In fact, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't call now. I still kept my phone close, waiting for it to ring.

I didn't have to wait long.

Bright and early the next morning, my alarm was replaced with a ringtone. Groggily, I pulled the buzzing phone out from under my pillow.

"Hello?" I found the time on the clock across the room. It was five thirty. I groaned.

"Well, that's no way to say hello." Zeus's voice came through the earpiece happy and loud. I was going to kill him.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" I whispered, not wanting to wake Jessie.

"Time to wake up?" He was entirely too chipper.

"I thought boys didn't get up until noon," I teased, getting out of bed and slipping into the hallway.

"They don't if they have a business to run—and a pretty girl to call, of course." I could hear the teasing in his voice, as well as the smile that was sure to be accompanying it.

"I'm not very pretty right now," I teased back, going into the living room and sitting cross‑legged on the couch.

"I wouldn't say that," his voice purred. "I think you look good enough to eat."

I froze. "How do you know what I look like?"

"I like the way your hair is sticking up, very sexy—almost like we spent the night together. Also love the green tank top with the black shorts. It complements the rosy color your face is turning."

My eyes felt as wide as saucers, and I curled in on myself, quickly readjusting my bed-head ponytail.

"Where are you? How can see me?" I was never leaving my room without being ready again.

"Check the window, my dear," his cocky voice came through.

I did and, sure enough, the blinds were open just enough that I could make out Zeus standing on the other side, watching me.

"Are you stalking me?" I teased, trying to cover up the mortification at my appearance.

"Maybe," came the seductive reply.

"Oh, then maybe I'll call the cops," I whispered dangerously.

"Hey now," he laughed. "I don't have any weapons on me, just coffee. I thought you might be up for a cup this morning."

"Well, I'm up, that's for sure," I laughed. "Hang on a sec, I'll unlock the door."

I hung up the phone and ran back to the bathroom to drag a brush through my hair. When I finally got to him, Zeus was pretending to be asleep, leaning on the siding. He was wearing a long sleeve, black shirt and faded jeans. If I looked good enough to eat, then he looked good enough to kill for.

"Huh? Oh, sorry," he yawned, continuing with the ruse. "You took so long I thought I would take a little nap while I waited." He grinned devilishly at me and stepped across the threshold.

"So this is where you live," he said, studying the apartment. "It's so tiny! That sucks, I'm sorry." He laughed some more, protesting when I punched him in the arm.

"It's no fancy resort," I retorted. "But I love it, so there."

"That's good enough for me." He smiled and held out a paper cup. "I thought if I came early enough, you wouldn't say no to my coffee this time."