Chapter Ten

At seven in the morning, Zeus arrived to pick me up. He'd stayed until after midnight planning our hike for today, but we'd decided to leave early for the Valley of Fire State Park to get some hiking in before the worst of the fall heat hit. He was wearing a white t-shirt and jean shorts, complete with hiking boots. I had gone for a tank top and Daisy Duke Style shorts—I didn't want to risk roasting to death in the desert.

"Did you remember to pack a pair of long pants too?" he asked, picking up my backpack from beside the door.

"Yes. But I don't want to die of heat stroke, so I didn't put them on," I laughed.

"We're probably going rock climbing, that's why I wanted you to bring them. It'd be a shame if you cut your legs up. Also, it gets cold in the desert at night."

"I know," I smiled. "I have lived in the desert my whole life!" He gave me a dazzling smile in return.

"I got everything for lunch and dinner in the car, are you ready to go?"

"Yes," I grinned again. I had a feeling today was going to be one I'd remember for the rest of my life.

"Let's go then!" He reached and grabbed my hand, tossing my bag over his shoulder.

I was surprised when he threw everything into the back of a Jeep. I should have known he had more than one car. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"What?" He opened the passenger door and helped me in.

"Nothing," I laughed as he ran around the front and got in the driver's side.

"I like cars, so what," he joked. "There is a car for every occasion, and I think I should have one for each of them."

"If you say so."

"I do! Don't you like it? This Jeep will be awesome in the park, you wait."

"A car is just that, Zeus—a car. I don't understand men's obsessions with them."

"You will after today, baby," he crooned, peering at me over the top of the sunglasses he'd just put on.

"Baby?" I questioned, one eyebrow raised.

"Yeah. I like it, don't you?"

"We'll see," I laughed.

The park proved to be as amazing as Zeus promised. Everything was a brilliant red, thus the fire reference. I kept having giggle fits because some of the sandstone was wavy and resembled bacon sizzling on the cliff face. There were ancient dwellings throughout the park, as well as cool rock formations.

We went rock climbing in one area of the park, analyzed some interesting petroglyphs after a small walk to another site, barbequed at the campground, and walked through the visitor's center during the hottest part of the day. Once it hit about six, we started our hike. We'd be finished by sunset and then head back to the city, stopping in the mountains to star gaze. I was especially excited about the last part. I'd been able to see the stars every night in my hometown, but here the city lights washed them away.

The trail we walked had legends that went with the whole valley and all sorts of cool rock formations. One even looked like a piano! It seemed impossible for some of them to exist—they should have crumbled millions of years ago—but somehow they had stayed strong. Zeus impressed me once again by displaying his knowledge of the area; everything from dinosaurs to ancient basket-weavers. It sounded a lot like history class, but felt a lot like art class. I had more fun than I thought possible.

The air was still dry and hot as we drove back towards the city, although the sun was beginning to set. The mountains rose up in front of us, the only barrier between us and home, but even with the wind blowing through the open vehicle, I still had to pull my sticky, damp shirt off my stomach.