Chapter Fifteen

School would be finishing soon with the semester ending shortly after Thanksgiving. While I waited for Zeus to call, I dove into my work. I had a couple of essays to write, plus the art show to get ready for. I'd finished my painting weeks ago and submitted it for review. I was really pleased with how it turned out, especially with Zeus and Jessie's suggestion to add lightning to it. I loved the way it lit up the mountains and contrasted the dry desert sand in the foreground.

I was excited when I found out my work had been accepted and called home to tell my parents. I also told them I was bringing someone home for Thanksgiving. They couldn't stop asking questions about him. In the end, I told them they would just have to get to know him while he was there.

Zeus was always in meetings, some having to do with the casino, some to do with Niki. I was worried about him. I didn't understand why the police weren't doing anything about the whole situation.

The first day, I only received one text.

Nothing yet. Z.

After that, we fell into a pattern of messages, about three a day.

Any news yet? Karly

Nope nothing. Z.

Okay, let me know J Karly

After a week and a half of text messages, he finally showed up at my door. I was shocked at his appearance. He hadn't shaved in a couple of days and there were slight bags under his eyes, suggesting he hadn't been sleeping well. His suit was a little rumpled, probably from sitting through meetings all day.

"Are you okay?" I asked in shock.

"I'm really tired, that's all. It's been a long day . . . week."

I stepped aside and let him in. Letting out a long sigh, he drug his feet across the threshold, shoulders slumped, a defeat mirrored in his eyes. He practically fell onto the couch and let out a deep sigh, laying on his back.

"Is there any news?" I asked tentatively.

"Not really." He sounded defeated. "I've been trying to figure out the safest way to get Niki back, but nothing's working out. Even if I give up Tartarus, I don't think he'll release her."

"And the cops can't do anything?" I was starting to doubt he'd even called them.

"They don't know where he is, only that she's with him," he said, exasperatedly. "My family is the best option for help, and I can't talk to any of them unless they contact me first."

"Why not?" I asked in surprise.

"We aren't on the best of terms." He frowned as he said it, the exhaustion growing in his eyes.

"What happened?"

"It's not a big deal, just a disagreement about my marriage. At least that's what it was for me. Apparently it was a much bigger deal to everyone else."

I wanted to press him further, but I could tell he wasn't going to say much more on the matter.

"I don't know what to do!" He suddenly burst out. "Niki was my good luck charm, my best friend. Whenever she was around I couldn't make a wrong decision. I could talk things through with her, and she would understand completely. The best part was there was never any attraction between us. She was like one of the boys. Now she's been taken and it's all my fault. If she hadn't been coming to see me, she'd probably be home right now, absolutely fine."

"It's not your fault," I said softly, moving from the door and sitting on the floor next to the couch. I placed a hand on his arm. "Your uncle is the one doing all of this. None of it's your fault."

"It's entirely my fault," he said mournfully.

"Why don't we talk about something else?" I'd never seen him act like this before and it scared me. The situation was really messing with him—getting into his head—and I didn't know how to help.

"Thanksgiving is next week," I added, trying to be cheerful. "We're going to get away from all of this for a little while and have some fun, okay?"

"You have no idea how wonderful that sounds," he breathed. "I can't wait."

"Me neither." I smiled and stood up. "I think ice cream is in order. Wanna watch some more Hercules?"

"Sure," he laughed weakly, sitting up. "I'll welcome any distractions right now."

"Well, we need to plan our trip, if you want to do that too." I walked into the kitchen by myself, leaving him to set up the television.

"Great, let's get it done," he said with mock enthusiasm.

"I already called and told them you were coming," I laughed as I pulled the carton from the freezer.

"How'd it go?" His face was brightening a little, which was good.

"As well as I hoped for, I guess. They had a lot of questions, but I told them to chill out."

"So you're going to make me suffer the interrogation alone." I loved how he didn't phrase it as a question.

"You got it," I said, winking. "They'll be much more polite to you—I hope."

"You hope? That's comforting. It makes me overcome with joy to meet them," he laughed, standing up.

"I'm sure they'll love you once they get to know you," I said, dishing our treats.

"Ouch. I didn't know I was one of those people." He pulled out the disc we were on and put it in the player.

"One of what people?"

"One of the 'once you get to know them' people. You know, the kind everyone hates but they get over it eventually." He raised his eyebrows and folded his arms.

"Stop making fun of me," I laughed, bringing the ice cream to the couch. "You know what I meant!"

"Did you mean I'm so fantastic you can't find the words to describe me?"

"Something like that." I handed him his bowl and we sat down together.

"Good, because I have no idea what else you could have meant." He took a big bite and smiled wolfishly.

"Dork!" I laughed and kissed his cheek, happy at the mood change. I was still uneasy over everything he was going through. It was like everything my parents had warned me about—kidnapping, blackmail, pretty much everything—was actually happening in his life, and mine by extension.