02 | KARMA

Did I go to college for twelve years? No

Do I currently hold a PHD? Also no.

Do I work in a hospital? Yes, actually.

None of this matters, because when the authorities found the first body and came to the conclusion that I didn't keep the typical organs and body parts in line with cannibalism, and therefore must've dissected the man for pleasure, that was all it took. As soon as the story was released to the media, that was the name I was given.

As for the East Hadena part, that's just where I typically dump the bodies. It's on the opposite side of the city from where I live, so it's the safest spot for someone who doesn't possess a vehicle that can drive for hours at a time. The old truck that isn't registered under anybody, which I use strictly for body dumping, could never handle that.

It's not like I ever wanted the authorities to find the bodies, at least, not really. I just didn't care either way, because it didn't matter. They'd never find anything, I made sure of it. From what I can gather, it drives the police and their forensics team—some of which consists of my own coworkers—crazy.

I will never let up, though. I'll never get too comfortable. The day I'm sloppy is the day I deserve to get caught.

My new neighbor moves in two days later, and I plan on doing everything I can to avoid the guy. Unfortunately, that does not last long, since the first time I see him he is standing in the hallway. He looks to be deep in a conversation with Mr. Scott, who is the only other person who lives on this floor, at the other end of the hall.

I plan to mind my business and walk to my own apartment, not even looking at them, but that is halted when Mr. Scott decides to acknowledge my existence. A rare occurrence for him, but of course it would happen in this instance.

"Hey, Camilo." Mr. Scott says, motioning me over. I look over at him, and pointedly do not make eye contact with man next to him, before walking over. "This is Decari, he just moved in across from you."

Ugh. Here goes.

When I finally look at the guy, I immediately know I'm in trouble.

For one, he's hot, which sucks right off the fucking bat, because it'll make him way harder to ignore. Also, he's muscular, and at least half a foot taller than me. Probably more, since I've always been more of the nerdy type, and have never had to exercise for any reason. Even when kidnapping my victims, I usually just give them a sedative and knock them unconscious—the element of surprise is my friend—to make it all easier.

Decari has umber skin and short dark hair, though it's a bit longer on the front. Tattoos cover both his arms, from what I can see, and he's wearing what appear to be exercise clothes, judging by how tight the tank top is. His light brown eyes are hard to read, face expressionless.

This guy is not promising so far. Hopefully he can at least mind his business, although the fact he's already talking to neighbors is also a bad sign.

"Nice to meet you," Decari is holding out his hand for me to shake, and I've never been one for physical contact. However, I don't hesitate before taking his hand and shaking it. I don't even think about it, and the contact between our hands sends a shock through my system. "You can call me Dex."