Chapter 8

The bowling alley was surprisingly packed for a Sunday night when we arrived, but Lucas and I could hear Payton's yelling from across the large room. I let out a small giggle while Lucas rolled his eyes. she must do this a lot by the look he gave.

"It's not my fault that I can't lift it!" Payton protested to Declan, trying to take an 11 bowling ball from the rack. Her blue hair was pulled back with a ribbon. "It's my arms! I'm upper bodily challenged."

"First off, I'm pretty sure that's not a thing. Secondly, the 6 bowling balls are meant for kids." Declan smirked with a chuckle. His arm was draped across the back of the chair next to his, taken by a girl a bit younger than me. Zeke and the boob-scout Wyatt stood by the ball return machine while they waited for the balls to come back.

"Hey, I'm not eighteen just yet! I'm still considered a minor!" Payton replied and stopped trying to pick up the heavy ball. Instead, she walked over to the kid's shelf and grabbed a marble-style green ball.

"Hey guys." I smiled, waiting until they were done arguing to speak. Payton instantly shrieked and wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Save me!" She begged dramatically, clutching onto me for dear life. "These guys are meanies!" She shot a glare their way before turning back to me.

"We didn't do anything to you!" Zeke protested with a laugh. He was doodling on the score sheet while Wyatt took his turn and hit all the pins down.

"Boo-yah!" Wyatt shouted, then, when he saw me, gave me a smirk and head nod. What a player.

"We just started. Join in." Payton said and pulled me along to get my own bowling ball. Unlike her, I could pick up the 11 ball. Lucas asked me for my shoe size, so he could get us both a pair of shoes.

"Getting daring, aren't we, Grey?" Declan mused with a smirk crossing his lips. I

I slid on the shoes Lucas had given me before tilting my head at Declan. "I can bowl just as good as you can, if not better," I said haughtily to him and sauntered up to the alley, which seemed to earn me a death-glare from the unknown black-haired girl. With one quick swing on my arm, the ball sped down the alley, hitting all but two split pins.

"So much for bowling better than me, eh?" Declan gloated. I looked up to see he had gotten a spare.

"My turn isn't over yet, Pierce." Then with those words, I retrieved my ball and repeated my steps again, adding slight spin this time. The ball spun into one pin and hit it into the other. "Excuse me, I'm going to get myself a pop. Anyone want anything?"

A few head nods and replies were given to me before I went to the counter. "Cherry Coke, Lemonade, Mountain Dew, and a water, please."

Someone came up to the counter and leaned against it. "That was a lucky shot."

I rolled my eyes, "It's called practice, Declan. My dad, Oliver, and I use to go here all the time when I was a kid."

He looked as if he had tasted something sour and snorted, "Good for you."

I turned to him, finally snapping. "You said you hated how people stereotyped you for being the bad boy, but now, you're acting like a complete jackăss. You're basically confirming what they say about you. Who the hell is that girl you're with anyway? Is she just another one of your good fůcks?"

"Ha, what are you jealous?" He said, closing the gap between us. Chills were sent up my spine as I felt the air of his breathy chuckle travel down my neck. He looked at my lips, then just smirked at my expression, "Thought so."

"Conceited, much? I wouldn't date you if my life to depended on it." I spat after recovering from my shock.

He just let out another laugh. "It's called confidence, and don't worry. Natalia is Zeke's sister." His eyes flickered back to the girl before he left.

"Here's your drinks." The lady at the counter said. I took them with a small thanks before heading back to our alley.

Ugh, Declan Pierce really knew how to push my buttons.

~

"Ha! I can't believe you beat Declan!" Lucas laughed heartily as we headed to the parking lot. The sides of his eyes crinkled in happiness, and he finally had a seemingly genuine smile on his face. That hasn't happened since Oliver died. "His face was priceless! He was so pissed!"

I chuckled him, thinking about the score. "I told him I was better, and he didn't believe me!" I had beat him by 30 points.

"He should've listened." He shook his head and unlocked the car. We both got in, then he started the engine.

The beginning of the drive was silent, but it was the kind that was comfortable, like between good friends.

"That was so fun. I haven't gone bowling with anybody in a long time. Probably since Oliver and I were little. My dad would take us there." I said in remembrance. It use to be weekly until the divorce, when my dad started drinking.

"Yeah, I think I honestly prefer this group over the jocks. I wasn't like Oliver. He could make friends easily and never did anything wrong." Some bitterness was in his voice, but he continued, "Me, not so much. Oliver was perfect."

"He was amazing, but he wasn't perfect." The side of me still loyal to Oliver protested. He was a person too, not just a robot like how Lucas made him out to be.

"People always put him on a pedestal, like he was a freaking martyr or something, especially now." His fists clenched against the steering wheel as we pulled into my driveway. I didn't get out though. "He hurt me."

"What happened?" I asked concernedly. We hadn't really known each other very long, but Lucas has been there for me in these last three days. It was amazing to have someone understand how I felt.

"He wouldn't let me have you.." He murmured quietly. His eyes were sad, and his lips pouted. "He said I wasn't good enough for you, that I'd hurt you."

I was stunned into silence, "I-I.."

"You don't have to say anything." He said hoarsely, leaning toward me while my heart pounded.

Suddenly, Lucas's lips were hungrily against mine. So much emotion was poured into it, longing, regret, and bitterness. It wasn't about me; it was about Oliver. He kissed me not just because he liked me, but because he resented Oliver.

So I pulled away. Hurt filled his eyes, and it hurt me to see him like that. "I-I, I'm sorry." I quickly got out of the car and ran to my house with tears threatening to fall.

I had hurt my friend, who had already been hurt enough before, but also, a thought hit me.

I had wished for the longest time that Oliver would be my first kiss and my last. Now, he would be my first but he would never be able to be my last.

~

Thank you for reading! This kind of had a good amount of drama, or at least I hope so.

Let me know what you thought!

-Reyna Lee