Chapter 1

(THIS BOOK HAS BEEN PUBLISHED SO ONLY 3 CHAPTERS WILL BE POSTED HERE)

            Heather couldn't help but glare at the strong man pacing back and forth in front of her. "Heather honey, I'm serious. It's way past time for you to get your own life. I mean seriously, look around." He stated while waving his arms wildly in all directions. She tried not to look around knowing exactly what she would see. "Look at yourself, how many animals do you have? You're starting to scare me."

On the plus side, this intervention did not include her younger sister Pricilla or Percy as they like to call her. That was only because she was handling business out in Texas. That left her alone to deal with her brother. Looking down she stroked Mittens on his back as he purred on her lap, while Fluffy slept content to her left.

"Sis, I don't want to be mean to you but do you realize you are two cats away from being just like Mrs. Mellows. You remember the crazy cat lady neighbor we had while growing up. What did she have, ten cats?" He turned around and started counting her cats.

She could see his lips moving as he rattled off "Mittens, Fluffy, Meowmix, Cheetah and last but not least Raven." She ignored the curse words that followed the last name. Raven was his least favorite. He was the only male in a harem of all females. Raven took his job seriously and seemed to always have her back when she was being bothered.

He loved to climb the fridge in the kitchen and dive bomb Jason and Percy. Heather found it hilarious. Her brother and sister, on the other hand, did not. "Five damn cat's Heather, I'd say that puts you well on your way to crazy cat lady status. For God's sake woman, you're going to be 27 years old in a couple of months. It's time you started living your life and found yourself a man. I'm already 24 and Percy is going to be 23, your commitment to us has been over for years now."

Heather could feel the unwanted tears make their way down her cheek. She understood what her siblings were trying to do. It was just the fact that well; she wasn't ready to move on. She didn't know how to move on. Once upon a time, Heather had been in love and thought it was a happily ever after kind of love. Yet when the going got tough after her parents death. The so-called love of her life did not like coming in second to her siblings.

He had the nerve to give her an ultimatum, him or them. It broke Heather's heart to let him go. Yet she didn't need a person in her life that couldn't understand the priorities in her life had changed. Now here she was, 26 years old and successful. Yet strangely in her own way happy. She hugged fluffy to her chest and closed her eyes, figuring it may not be the right time to tell Jason she was thinking of keeping that little beagle that was brought in last week.

After wiping her eyes, Heather met her brothers' gaze. "Jason, I love you so much for worrying about me. As you so boldly stated, I am a 26-year-old woman. I am old enough to live my life as I choose and don't need you guys telling me when I need a man. So unless you want me to start medaling into your love life, which seems to be busy enough for the both of us. I suggest you drop this conversation. Oh, and tell your sister too. I don't want to have to repeat myself again later."

***********

Jason looked at Heather in disbelief as it sank in that he was being dismissed. He stomped away muttering about her pigheadedness as he made for the door. Too bad Jason failed to notice Raven was at the top of the scratching post waiting to pounce on the male human who dared make his mistress cry. The ferocious "Meeeeooowwww" was the only thing Jason heard before he felt the four-legged beast wrap around his head.

"What the hell!" Jason screamed as Heather leaped off her couch and ran to him. Lucky for Jason the cat had covered his face with its little body. Unlucky for Jason, that meant the little critters claws were now embedded in his scalp.