Chapter 114

Lilith looked down at her father's still-young face and smiled.

"Guards."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Open that door and remove all the restraints."

"But..."

"If you refuse, I'll have your head."

"Ah, yes!"

The guards, nervous, saluted Lilith and went to get the key. The prison door required a key to open, a fact that had prevented Kylian from removing Anais when she had been imprisoned here before.

After a short while, the guard returned with the key.

"Well done. Now leave."

"...Yes."

Lilith then unlocked the door to the cell where Mephist, the High Priest of Death, was confined. She removed all his restraints in sequence and then handed him a potion she had brought.

"Ugh...!"

The potion quickly went down his throat, and soon after, the High Priest of Death woke up.

"You need to wake up, Father. There's still work to be done."

The High Priest of Death, looking haggard, stared at Lilith and then nodded.

Watching from a distance was Duke Percival. He was lying still, pretending to be asleep, firmly convinced that Lilith, appearing as Anais, was not truly his daughter.

"I'm sorry."

"Such sentiments are a luxury. Just do what you promised."

The High Priest of Death sighed and nodded in response to Lilith's cold words.

* * *

"So the gate is connected to the capital?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Kylian had thought that by tracking the gate, he could immediately locate Anais. He had expected it to be on a remote island, a foreign land, or a very high mountain—somewhere secluded.

But the capital? And not just anywhere, but the now-abandoned Temple of Goddess Meviar where all the priests had already been sacrificed.

"Ha."

He felt a tightening in his chest, sensing that Anais's whereabouts were slipping further away.

"Bring the tracking wizard."

"Your Majesty, the tracking wizard has already exhausted all his magic and is in hibernation...."

"Wake him."

"He will die if awakened now."

Leviathan interjected.

"Then what am I supposed to do?"

"Awaken Lionel, the Magic Tower Master."

Leviathan was relieved that Phileal had come up with a decent plan. He had expected Phileal to go straight to a distant island. If it was the capital, it would be easier to hide. Moreover, the Temple of Death was overflowing with identification tags of sacrificed victims.

It seemed he had selected a few identification tags that he liked and taken them. The number he had taken was roughly around ten, though he had only shown Anais two of them.

"I will wake him myself, so don't be too anxious."

"Anais's life is running out."

"I'll find and capture her before that lifespan ends."