Chapter 99

"I can't let you go."

The High Priest began to emit his power, his eyes marked with the pentagram. The power of the god of death absorbs life force. Anyone touched by the High Priest would have their life force drained away and their body decaying.

Phileal felt the same confidence. He believed he wouldn't lose to the current High Priest. However, he didn't truly want to engage in a serious fight. He just wanted to escape this place and find Anais.

Moments ago, he felt as if his world had collapsed, but now he realized there was someone who would accept him.

He understood that helping Anais against the High Priest's wishes was what he truly desired.

"You never listened to me."

"I did before I met Anais."

"What good does it do to have listened before?"

"Just like how the High Priest treated me well only until Lilith Isadora appeared. What's the difference?"

"You've become insolent."

The High Priest was not a martial artist. Although Phileal wasn't a swordsman, he was well-trained. Being the third power in the temple of death meant he had to participate in external activities often. With Leviathan not fully participating, Phileal had to step in for him.

"Why did you take Anais?"

"I won't tell an enemy."

"Where did you take her?"

"I can't tell you."

The High Priest prepared for battle summoning a spear of divine power. Similarly, Phileal reluctantly conjured a long spear.

"I wish you would just tell me."

"You always wear your heart on your sleeve."

The High Priest of Death swung his spear in a wide arc and aimed for Phileal's head.

Tang! Phileal parried the blow and attacked the High Priest's shoulder.

The side was aflame, hot from the rising fire. The spot where Phileal and the High Priest stood was precarious, as if a slight misstep would turn them into offerings.

"Don't make me do this."

"You've come to this point yet you can't let go of me."

The High Priest looked at him coldly and thrust his spear towards Phileal again. Phileal blocked the attack and, with an ax-like motion, pushed forward with all his might, forcing the High Priest back.

At that moment.

"This makes things simple."

"Leviathan!"

"Ugh...!"

Leviathan struck the High Priest's side with a spear he summoned. The High Priest staggered towards the altar, causing Phileal to throw his spear towards a nearby tree.

"High Priest!"

Thanks to that, the cloth on High Priest Mephist's shoulder got stuck on the altar. The High Priest had nowhere to step. The spear stuck in his shoulder saved him from being consumed by the fire. Had he fallen there, he surely would have died without a trace.

"What are you doing?"

"I have to save the High Priest!"

"In this situation, you think he'll just let you go?"

"Ah..."

Phileal hesitated, seeing the High Priest looking at him, but he was certain that if he didn't save him now, Leviathan wouldn't leave the High Priest alone.