Chapter 116 (Part 2)

Listening to Phileal's unpretentious, childlike chatter, which was so spontaneous and unpredictable, actually helped her concentrate more. It allowed her to think less about Kylian.

Moreover, Phileal's goodwill, which felt almost familial, was comforting. She recalled her initial fear of Phileal as a priest of death and felt awkward about the emotions she was experiencing now.

It was truly surprising that someone she had thought of as a potential threat was now her most reliable ally. Thinking of Phileal made walking alone a bit less frightening.

No, she couldn't afford to be afraid forever. Unrequited love was more painful and difficult to endure than she had expected. It was time to face the reality of letting go of her feelings for Kylian.

"It's okay."

The pounding of her heart was painful, and the throbbing in her head and the heaviness in her chest were familiar but still painful.

"It's okay."

Phileal had promised to stay by her side until her death. She wanted to live a new life after this one, completely forgetting her past.

Anais forced a smile and tried to recall Phileal's smiling face.

"I hope you find happiness."

She thought that Phileal felt like a younger brother to her because he resembled Kylian in many ways. To be more precise, while Phileal was a bit more cruel and yet pure compared to Kylian, they shared quite a few similarities in their way of thinking. Perhaps that's why she felt comfortable around him.

"Is this it?"

Without hesitation, Anais reached out to another door she spotted.

"Ah...?"

Just like when she entered this place, she was pulled into the door once again.

"It feels like I'm going further in."

She scratched her head awkwardly and quickened her pace. Judging by the slightly muffled sound of Phileal's voice, he seemed genuinely worried. Upon reflection, he was quite a soft-hearted person.

"I might make him cry if I die."

Thinking this made her recall why she had initially avoided getting close to Phileal. At first, she wanted to disappear after bringing Kylian back. She didn't want to leave a trace or cause any more pain to anyone who remembered her.

"It looks like I'm stuck here."

The contradiction seemed shameless. However, she didn't want to let go of Phileal even in this situation. The moment she did, she felt she would collapse as Kylian's memory surfaced.

"Am I being too selfish?"

She said this with a small laugh.

"Why are there so many doors?"

Anais placed her hand on yet another door. Again, she was transported inside in the same manner.

She eventually reached a location that was so brightly illuminated it was almost blinding. Anais squinted momentarily but soon relaxed and looked ahead.

In front of her were,

"What is this?"

A massive pile of skeletal remains and decayed corpses were laid out on a magical symbol identical to the one she had seen in Kylian's bedroom.

* * *

"Is this really the gate to Ensest?"

"Yes!"

Duke Percival had arrived at a pub on the outskirts of the capital, a place he used to frequent for the palace's messier tasks. It was such a decrepit place that it had somehow survived even after the change of the Emperor.

"If you're lying, I'll come back and throw your corpse to the beasts."

"I—I'm not lying, Duke Percival! Why would I lie to you!"

Duke Percival was well-acquainted with the face of the man at the end of his gun. They had crossed paths several times before. Additionally, the pub owner was someone who was deeply afraid of Duke Percival.

Revenge requires determination. However, the man standing before Duke Percival was not capable of such resolve, and he knew well how those who harbored petty revenge against the Duke long ago had met their end.

Even though Duke Percival had lost his former status and reputation, his nature had not changed. It was abundantly clear that he would become a vengeful spirit, seeking revenge even in death.

"Explain why there is still a gate leading to Ensest."

"This, this was set up by the priests of death!"

"Why?"

"They said there would be many uses for it..."

"Who said so?"

"I don't know."

Duke Percival gave the pub owner a scornful look, noting how he couldn't even meet his gaze out of fear.

"Open it."

"...Yes."

Duke Percival watched as the man activated the gate. The gate soon began to glow and ripple like an aurora.

"If you leave now... Ack!"

Duke Percival kicked him out of the way. The pub owner was shoved through the gate, then stumbled back and shouted.

"What are you doing?"

"Making sure it's safe."

With that, Duke Percival pulled him out of the gate and pulled the trigger.

"Ack!"

The pub owner stared blankly at the bullet-riddled wall in shock.

"Remember this warning, you fool. If you talk carelessly again, I'll fill your body with bullets and gouge out your eyes."

With that, Duke Percival calmly crossed through the gate, heading to meet his daughter.