Ch 45 -- For Whom The Bell Tolls

The weeks passed, and not much changed—simple days with Alastor and Ambrose. Just spending time with your own little family. It gave you peace.

To a point where Killian rarely crossed your mind, and when he did, it didn't fill you with absolute anguish. The grief was still there. However, it wasn't suffocating. By Saturday's time, you were content in Alastor's arms, holding Ambrose in yours.

All was silent as you sat beside Alastor with his arms around you, Ambrose doing little more than occasionally wriggling in your arms.

Finally, Alastor released a soft sigh, "It's been three weeks," he breathed, drawing a hand down his face as the two of you mindlessly watched the TV together. You nodded, already knowing what he was going to say. Yet, you didn't want to leave. It had been a wonderful three weeks together.

Your mind hadn't been this calm in months, and finally, having peace like this was like taking a breath of fresh air after being stuck underwater for too long.

"We should be getting back. Now's not the time to be leaving Lucifer and the others to deal with our affairs," Alastor continued, earning another nod from you. The clock on the wall read eight in the morning, still reasonably early. 

"It's been nice here," you sighed, leaning deeper into Alastor. He chuckled and kissed the top of your head. His hand lifted from the side of the couch to come and rest over your hand holding Ambrose. "It's been wonderful. I got a call from Lilith the other day, and all the construction on the castle is done; all that's left is for us, or I guess you, since you have a list of things you want to be done, to finish it," Alastor said with a slight chuckle, making you giggle.

"So I take it you're looking forward to returning to pride?" You asked, making him pause for a moment. Alastor smiled and looked down at you, "I look forward to finally having a life with you, and if I'm honest, I miss the twins. As much of a headache as Arthur is..." Alastor drifted, making a bright smile form on your face at the statement.

"Well, come on, let's go. There's no need to pack anything," you directed, standing up from the couch to pick up the backpack that carried everything for Ambrose. Then, you picked up your shoes and put them on. Alastor wasn't far behind, wearing the same relaxed yet classy clothes he often wore when he didn't plan on going anywhere besides wherever you wanted.

In a moment, you were again heading to the gates of the ring.  The same ritual spell rang in your mind, and the tear between the rings formed, allowing you and Alastor to step through the portal. Once again, you were met with cameras flashing gossip, but neither you nor Alastor paid any attention to it.

The walk back to the castle was filled with pleasant conversation and ideas for your new castle, the home you had less than a month to create if you wanted to finish it on time. Arthur and Hayden went back to school in August, and you'd wanted to get started earlier, but construction had taken longer than you would have liked. You also took an almost month-long vacation with Alastor so now you had even less time to get everything together.

There was a strange feeling as you walked through the streets of hell. Demons stared as you and Alastor passed, but it wasn't the usual curiosity and weariness. There was a new vibe the demons and imps were putting out, though you couldn't quite describe it.

It was a mix of fear and trepidation. Judgment and anger...

"It's different," You commented just loud enough for Alastor to hear.

"I know. I imagine something's happened that they're not a fan of," Alastor said, his voice betraying hints of exhaustion. You nodded, putting it to the back of your mind for now. As you reached the castle gates, even the servants and guards seemed tense about your arrival.