7.

Nick: Last chance to ditch the bitch. you know where to go [Sent: 10:30]

Ethan: Just hide out at Nick's man. you really don't want to miss this weekend [Sent: 10:30]

Emma: i'd really miss u if u weren't here :( <3 [Sent: 10:31]

Sophie: pleaaaaase? [Sent: 10:31] 

The messages kept pouring in, making his phone buzz non-stop. Maybe Sem had bashed the camping trip a bit too hard before finding out Connor would be there. Nick, and his other friends, seemed to have made it their personal mission to convince him to ditch. They all used their usual strategies: Nick offered a place to stay, Ethan tried to lure him away with one of his extravagant college parties, and Emma and Sophie went all cute and emotional on him. It probably would've worked any other weekend. Sem would've grabbed his bag, dodged his 'responsibility', and consider the wrath of his mom later.

Not this time, though.

Sem dropped his phone on his nightstand, and turned his attention to the array of sweaters laying on his bed. He picked up his favourite red one, the one Emma had once noted looked good on him, and tossed it in his open bag. He'd be needing one or two of those to get through the bitter cold that was sleeping outside. Back to the primal way of life, whooptifuckingdo. 

For some reason, it often surprised people that outdoor sport fanatic Sem didn't like camping. Sem, in return, always reminded them that there's a huge difference between these two things. Playing soccer outside, then going inside for a nice hot shower, followed by curling up on the couch with a good tv show? Count him in. Being in the middle of nowhere with no telephone reception all day, followed by a cold filthy shower and crawling into a cold filthy tent at night, only to wake up with a broken back and  half eaten by mosquitos the next morning? Yeah, no. Perhaps if he had a hot guy like Connor to snuggle up to. The slim, but not completely zero percent chance of that happening was the one thing driving Sem to go through with this. 

Maybe he was only seeing what he wanted to see, but he almost swore Connor had taken a liking to him too. Despite their super awkward first meeting, the conversations after that, had flowed naturally.

The night after Sophie's birthday, they both forgot about the time and kept IM'ing about cars and movies until 2am. 

The next evening, when Sem had went to Jack's autofix to give Connor back his jacket and shirt, they'd talked and laughed until Connor's break was over.  

After that, Connor started liking some new posts on Sem's social media feeds. He'd also greeted him at the sport centre, giving a quick wave when he saw him at the soccer fields. Sem had wanted to go to him, but he still didn't have the guts to do so with his friends around. 

Letting out a sigh, Sem rummaged through his drawers, trying to find his flashlight. 

"Did you pack your toothbrush and toothpaste too?" His mom came walking into his room with a towel in her hands, which she neatly tucked into Sem's bag. 

"Yeah, I have it. Have you seen my flashlight?" 

His mom clicked her tongue. "Why are you always packing at the last moment? You're going to make Lisa wait." She walked up to Sem's closet, opening another drawer. "Here it is."

Sem rolled his eyes while he took the flashlight from his mom's hand, and put it in his bag. Of course his mom had arranged a ride with Lisa behind his back. Lisa in turn, had told Connor, and Sem couldn't think of a good reason why he couldn't go with her. Without it looking suspicious, or telling her to shove her ride up her fat ass, that is.  

Speaking of the devil, the doorbell rang. 

His mom didn't immediately rush down the stairs, but stopped next to Sem. "Hey Semmy," she said, stroking a hand through his hair with a slight smile. "I do appreciate you working with me here. Thanks for going to this camp. I'm sure you'll have fun."