28.

Nick looked at Sem expectantly. "Well? There's the athletics group."

"I don't see him yet..." 

Sem carefully scanned the running tracks. There was a bunch of guys jumping hurdles, racing each other, but Connor wasn't among them. 

Behind the tracks another group was doing some throwing practice, and Sem recognised Lisa on the grass by her hefty, broad-shouldered figure. She spun, spun again, and threw a discus into the air. 

When it landed way on the other side of the field Sem heard clapping, which automatically made him turn to the direction of the sound. Daniel was standing on the sidelines, applauding for Lisa. What was wrong with the universe? Blake and Daniel at a sport centre? 

As if on cue, Nick nudged him in the ribs with his elbow. "Hey dude, isn't that your brother?"

"Yeah."

Sem wasn't exactly willing to see or talk to Daniel. Or Lisa for that matter, whenever she was around Daniel. But Connor wasn't at the tracks. Sem had already tried messaging him, asking where he'd went. 

Contrary to his football teammates, who'd bombarded his inbox with things like 'are you for real' after Nick told them he was fine, and even Emma messaging him a 'holy shit are you ok??', Connor wasn't on his phone. Again. He never checked his goddamn messages when Sem needed him to. Maybe Daniel and Lisa knew where he was. Daniel was unlikely to help, but it was worth a shot.

"Come on." Without waiting for Nick's reply, Sem started marching towards his brother. 

"Hey, wait up!" The quick footsteps behind him indicated Nick followed. 

Daniel was practically gaping at Lisa. He wore a dopey smile, and didn't even notice Sem approaching him, until Sem waved a hand obnoxiously close to his face and whistled. 

Daniel's nose scrunched as he jerked away from Sem's hand. He then looked up, his brows immediately bumping together in a scowl. "Jesus what happened to your face?" 

Sem's fingers went up to touch his jaw. It had swollen a bit, and was very sensitive to the touch. 

"Oh, I just had a violent coming out. Some of them had asshole reactions like you, except with more fists." 

"What?" 

"My entire football team knows now," Sem explained impatiently,  "At least they punch me in the face rather than trash talk behind my back." 

Daniel's eyes narrowed. "I told Connor nothing but the truth about you, because I look out for my friends. I didn't lie about anything." 

"And now we're both unhappy. Awesome job you do looking out for him." 

"Is... everything alright here?" Lisa stopped next to Daniel, her fingers gently curling around his arm. Her pale blue eyes curiously swept from Daniel, to Nick, and then Sem. "What happened to your face, Sem?" 

Sem shook his head dismissively, already getting irritated with all the concern. "It's not important. Ask Daniel later. I need to know where Connor is. Do you know?" 

Lisa glanced at Daniel, almost as if she was silently asking his agreement to tell Sem. "I guess," she started, "He's in the library. Connor is skipping training today together with Dev because they had some project work." 

"Guess? I need to be sure." Sem flexed his fingers, curling and uncurling them. "Parents heard I was in a fight, and they're on their way here. I don't think the whole gay thing is gonna get skipped over either, and I have no idea what they're going to do. I'm on a clock here."