Chapter 4 - Will She Believe You?

"To be honest, I am full of shit.
But that's alright because
Everyone else that I know is."
- The Maine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mia and I make it to class just before the bell rings, and as soon as we walk through the door, we're met with wide-eyed stares from practically everyone in the room.

Now, I'm pretty sure neither of us are naked, so I'm going to go ahead and assume it's because I'm the new kid. Mia did mention something yesterday about how rarely they get new students here.

We make our way to the empty desks near the back of the room, and I attract some interested looks from a few of the girls as we pass by.

Trust me, it's nothing compared to the way they look at Mia.

When I choose the seat next to her, almost every eye in the room is on her in an instant, and it doesn't take long for the whispers to follow.

I glance over at Mia to see that she's got her gaze fixed firmly on her desk, ignoring them all with ease.

Something tells me this isn't the first time she's done this, and I'm starting to think there might be more to this girl than she's letting on.

Finally, the teacher enters the room, and things settle down as soon as he begins his lecture. I take the opportunity to take a good look around.

That's when I see him.

On my right, over Mia's shoulder, Sean is sitting a row back from us and a few seats over. He's staring at me wide-eyed, mouth hanging open. It's like he's seen a ghost.

The second I see that expression on his face, all the shit I went through since getting kicked out of St. John's almost feels worth it.

I can't hold back the smirk from my face as I meet his gaze. I give him a wave, and just that small action is enough to make him snap out of his stupor.

He narrows his eyes at me and gives me a look that.. Well, let's just say if looks could kill, I'd be dead on the floor.

Damn, he's even angrier than I thought he'd be.

Good.

Unfortunately, at that exact moment, Mia turns to face me. Just before she meets my gaze, I quickly put on a clueless expression.

Her eyebrows furrow, and she leans in close to me. "What?" she whispers.

Thinking fast, I nod towards Sean over her shoulder. "That guy's been glaring over here since we came in."

The second Mia looks over at him, Sean turns away from us, focusing his attention back to the front of the class.

"Friend of yours?" I ask her. She drops her gaze, and her lips part like she's about to speak, but no words come out.

A second of silence passes, and concerned, I start to reach for her, but I stop myself halfway and pull back.

"Mia," I say instead.

She looks up at me. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Just wondering if you know that guy?"

Mia looks away then, an expression on her face that I can't read. I don't even really get the chance to try, because when she looks back up again, it's gone.

She lets out a short laugh. "Oh, um.. He's just someone I used to be close to," she says. "No idea why he'd be staring though, we don't really talk much anymore."

I nod and glance over at Sean, who's gaze is now on us again.

"Probably for the best," I reply.

And it's the most honest thing I've said all day.