Chapter 6 - I'm Losing My F*cking Mind

"Even the silence that I have
With you is okay."
- MGK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know, I didn't really have a plan for how I expected this week to go.

I mean, I knew I wanted to mess with Sean. I knew that the way I wanted to do that was by hooking up with his girl.

That's pretty much as far as I got.

I mean, how hard could it be? My track record with girls is pretty solid. I figured I'd have no problem charming her into hanging around me long enough to make Washington's head explode.

Not to mention, this was Sean's ex we were talking about. It's not like her standards could be all that high.

But then I actually met Mia, and holy shit, did all that go out the fucking window.

After just one day with her, it became pretty clear that nothing about this was going to be easy. After a week with her? I'm starting to think it might be damn near impossible.

I swear, getting close to this girl is like pulling teeth. No matter what I try, she seems determined to keep me at arms length.

Seriously, I've been giving her some of my best material here, and Mia doesn't seem to be picking up on any of it. I can honestly say this is the hardest I've ever worked to get a girl's attention in my life.

Every day, I get to school a little early so I can meet her at her locker before class. I talk with her in between classes, I eat lunch with her and her friends, I help her train at practice, and at the end of the day, I walk her home. The whole thing is practically like a full time job.

It'd almost be annoying if I didn't like hanging out with her so much. I like it so much it scares the hell out of me.

Every day it gets harder to ignore. On Wednesday, some girls from our history class asked me to have lunch with them, and I ended up turning them down so I could finish talking to Mia about a basketball game she had in the eighth grade.

On Thursday, she had a tough time at practice, and I caught myself spending the whole way home trying to think of ways to make her smile.

Today, I was so restless to get to lunch so I could tell her something that I almost failed a freaking Spanish quiz.

I don't know what's wrong with me, and I sure as hell don't know how to explain it. She's just not anything like how I imagined she'd be, and every new thing I learn about her surprises me.

The first and most obvious thing I learn is that she's smart as hell. Seriously, I'm talking straight A's on every quiz they've handed back this week.

Normally those kinds of kids - the know-it-alls and the teachers' pets - they piss me off like you wouldn't believe, but for some reason, she doesn't.

When she finishes an assignment, she doesn't look around to see if she was the first one. When she gets a question right, she doesn't smile or brag. She never tries to make a big show of it. In fact, if you weren't paying attention, you might even miss the fact that she's probably one of the smartest people here.

And I don't just mean book-smart either. More than that, I swear she can see straight through my act.

I've been trying and failing to flirt with her all week, and it's like every time I try to use a line on her or say something practiced, she looks at me like she calls bullshit.

The only times I feel like we're actually getting anywhere at all is in the small moments, the times when I'm not even trying to get close.

It's happening more and more often. She'll do something or ask me something that catches me off guard, and I accidentally end up showing her something real.