➼ Chap. 21

P A R I S

P A R I S

At lunch, I sit with Jenna and Laura at our usual spot in the cafeteria, the sound of everyone talking and laughing swirling around us.

"So, last week, Ethan asked me to prom!" She gushes, practically bouncing in her seat, her excitement contagious. "He showed up with roses, a sign, the whole thing. It was so romantic!"

Jenna, sitting across from us, pouts in that exaggerated way she always does when she's upset about something.

"Ugh, I'm so jealous. Alex hasn't even asked me yet!" She crosses her arms, her lips turning down into a frown. "I mean, I know we're going together. I already bought my dress, and he's been talking about us going, but... I still want a promposal! Am I being selfish?"

I shake my head, swallowing my food.

"No, it's not selfish at all. If it's something you really want, you should tell him. He's probably assuming he doesn't need to ask since you're already together."

Laura nods in agreement, her smile wide.

"Exactly! Guys can be so clueless sometimes. If you want that cute moment, just bring it up casually. He probably thinks he's off the hook because you're dating."

Jenna sighs, her fingers tapping on the table.

"I just really wanted that special, over-the-top moment, you know? But I guess you're right. I'll bring it up, see what he says."

Then Laura suddenly leans in closer with a sly grin.

"So, Ari... how's it going with your hot Italian daddy?"

Jenna's eyes light up with excitement, and she practically jumps in her seat.

"Oh my God, yes! Tell us everything! What's going on with you two?" She urges and I sigh, poking at my lunch with my fork.

"It's over." I deadpan.

Both of their jaws drop, eyes widening in shock.

"What?!"

They say in unison, looking at me like I've just told them the world's ending.

"What happened?" Laura asks, concerned.

I bite my lip, not wanting to get into the messy details.

"It just didn't work out, okay? He's... too old, and I'm too young. Simple as that."

They both stare at me, still processing.

"Well, he must be blind and stupid. Seriously. Who passes on an amazing, hot-ass girl like you?" Jenna says in disbelief, shaking her head, and Laura nods eagerly.

"Exactly! You're way too good for him if he can't see that."

I chuckle softly, shaking my head, appreciating their attempt to cheer me up.