Miss Me? -Chapter One-

*Sherlock's POV*

"England", my brother, Mycroft, spoke right before he hung up.

England needs me? I thought my work was done.

I endlessly stared at my silent phone, waiting for a call back from Mycroft as I expected him to have lost signal or something. I jumped as my text ringtone went off, hoping that it was an explanation from Mycroft. But it wasn't. It was from John.

I sighed, tears nearly filling my eyes because I was already missing my best friend. I shook my sadness off before opening the unread text from John.

Sherlock, you have to come back. NOW.
-JW

That was two people who have ordered me to return. What on Earth could be going on?

Why?
-SH

I waited nervously for a reply. Eventually, John texted back and my head felt faint when I saw the worst two words that he could've possibly sent.

He's back.
-JW

I didn't need to ask who was back because I knew who it was already. Jim Moriarty. John had said the exact same words when he was back to steal the crown jewels. He didn't actually take anything though. That was the thing about Jim Moriarty. He knew exactly how to play the game. He knew how to get to people.

I had a sudden, horrible series of multiple flashbacks.

*

I stared at Moriarty's smug smirk as I held the gun to his head. Why did he never feel fear?

"Do you know what happens if you don't leave me alone, Sherlock?" Moriarty's strong Irish accent spoke, "To you?"

"Oh, let me guess", I glared at him, gun still firmly in hand, "I get killed".

"Kill you?" his voice became high with shock yet sarcasm, "Mm, no. Don't be obvious. I mean, I'm gonna kill you anyway someday. I don't want to rush it, though. I'm saving it up for something special. No, no, no, no, no".

His face remained emotionless and it was very hard to read him.

"If you don't stop prying..." he looked me up and down, "I will burn you. I will burn the heart out of you".

His unreadable face turned cocky again as his lips formed into a smirk.

"I have been reliably informed that I don't have one", I spoke coldly.

"But we both know that's not quite true", he shook his head with a challenging look in his eyes.

*

"Aren't ordinary people adorable?" Moriarty asked whilst sitting in my chair and carving sharply into an apple with a pen knife, "Well, you know. You've got John. I should get myself a living one".

"Why are you doing all of this", I asked.

"It'd be so funny", he said, ignoring my question.

"You don't have money or power, not really", I said.

He dug the pen knife further into the apple.

"What is it all for?" I asked again.

"I want to solve problems", he leant further towards me, "Our problem. The final problem. It's gonna start very soon, Sherlock. The fall".

He lifted his head up and started making a whistling sound whilst moving his head back down. He shot me a cold, hard glare for at least ten seconds.

"But don't be scared", he continued, "Falling's just like flying except there's a more permanent destination".

I stood up and straightened my jacket.

"I never liked riddles", I said.

Moriarty stood up too, not taking his deadly eyes off of me.

"Learn to", he replied with no expression whatsoever, "Because I owe you a fall, Sherlock. I. Owe. You".

With that, he left. I glanced down at the unfinished apple he had left on the table and I picked it up whilst turning it around to reveal 'IOU' engraved in it.

*

We were standing on the roof and Moriarty had 'almost' convinced me to commit suicide. We were closely standing opposite each other and Moriarty was constantly staring at me with confusion.

"No...you're not", he eventually said as he stared at my face (as if reading me) whilst he kept opening and closing his eyes like he was realising something, "I see".

He smiled but, for some reason, he looked the slightest bit scared.

"You're not ordinary", his voice was soft but it sounded dangerous, "No. You're me".

He started laughing.

"Your me!" He laughed again, "Thank you!"

What on Earth was he on about? I think he had really lost it this time.

"Sherlock Holmes", he looked to the ground before slowly extending his hand to call the game off.

As confused as I was, I took his hand and it was shaking with nerves.

"Thank you. Bless you", he whispered.

He closed his eyes and nodded. I could hear him swallow deeply. This didn't make any sense. Why did he look so...scared and nervous? I could almost see the tears forming in his eyes. The worry in his face warned me that something was about to happen. Something big. But, for once in my life, I couldn't predict it.

"As long as I'm alive, you can save your friends", he said, "You've got a way out".

Suddenly, his worried face formed into his game-playing face and he smirked evilly.

"Well, good luck with that", he finished.

He quickly pulled out a gun from his pocket and opened his mouth wide whilst giving me a cheeky smile as if he was having the last laugh. Then, he shoved the gun in his mouth and, before I knew it, he was on the floor. Blood everywhere. Dead...

*

Surely this devil's spawn could not be back. I saw him kill himself with my own eyes!

No, no, no, no. Please don't let Jim Moriarty be back.