Chapter 2 - Extreme Chemistry

• Dedicated to Alexis - A great friend

Chapter 2 - Extreme Chemistry

Why do I have to be so stupid? How could I mistake a teacher for a cupboard?

"Excuse me miss, are you supposed to be in this class?" My new teacher asked politely. Wow. He sounded so young.

I quickly cleared my throat and tried to calm myself down. Stop being rude Mara! Reply! You've never been dumbstruck before like this... What's wrong?

As I lifted my reluctant head I was mesmerised by the two skies that were staring at me - his eyes were so blue... Blue like the ocean...

The handsome young man in front of me possessed vampire-like looks that sent shivers down my spine. His hair was a very light shade of brown and looked ruffled - yet smart. His high cheekbones were set so that his face was like a Greek legend's and his body was lean and well-defined. Everything about this man was perfect - and the fact that he was Italian just added that extra cherry on the top.

I hate him.

I opened my mouth in a terribly failed attempt to speak "Uh. Well, umm... Yeah... I um, have chemistry-"

"Oh! There you are Maya - why'd you stomp off like that we got so worried" Faye and Ashley were walking towards the door - they stopped midway.

I jerked my head to stare at them, almost giving off the impression that I was guilty as charged.

What shall I say? Think of something... This is getting too awkward! I repeatedly scolded myself.

I began to try and speak but I was interrupted by the smooth flow of notes pouring out of those perfectly sculpted lips "Aah, I see Your name is... Mara"

He said my name! Awww! !The way he says it makes it sound so amazing - WAIT! What am I thinking? He's my TEACHER! 

"Please, all of you come in. I'm your new Biochemistry teacher - My name is Mr. Andrew Roberto and I will be replacing Mr Fernando and Mr Blacksmith" He moved his lean cat-like body to the side of the door to allow us to pass through.

I could sense Faye and Ashley watching my every move as I walked into the classroom. My heart began to drum in my chest, louder and louder until I could no longer hear anything but it's rhythmic beats. With all my senses already on hyper-alert, I could smell a faint whiff of Lynx Perfume Wow. I'm not an angel but I sure am falling. This is going to be one long lesson...

Our lab was arranged in the most peculiar manner possible - with all the tables being clustered together in the middle - my table was the one in the centre as I just loved to be centre of attention. I slowly trudged towards my table where Bushra was sitting, eyeing my bag with an alarmed expression on her face.

When I looked down at my bag I saw a horrible sight. The World's Biggest, Ugliest and Hairiest spider had decided to take a stroll on the strap of my bag.

A shrill scream pierced through the entire classroom as I slapped a hand against my mouth, realising that the screaming was coming from me. I hurled my bag off my shoulder as fast as humanely possible, reeling it across the classroom.

It hit the side of a big bottle that someone had just left open on the desk. I heard a splash as all the papers surrounding it got soaked, and a large puddle formed on the floor.

"Oh My God I'm so sorry" I began to say to no one in particular, while moving backwards at the same time. I felt my elbow hit something hard - and the glass container containing bits of francium fell with a crash on the floor - straight into the puddle of water.

Shit.

The entire class ran to one side as the reactants began to come to life - with sparks flying in all directions. Mr Roberto, who had been closing the door, looked up to see the entire classroom glowing - brighter and brighter, setting the floor ablaze due what Mr B would've called an 'exothermic reaction'. His eyes looked panic stricken, and then he turned to look accusingly at me.

Uh-oh.