The Edge Of Tonight

You keep me alive

On the edge of tonight

Chasing tomorrow

With fire in my eyes

**************************************************************

Shay's POV

I almost gasped when Johnnie's lips found mine. I was shocked to be honest. I would never think that he liked me like that. And as cheesy as it sounds, when we kissed, I felt sparks. I kiss him back persistently as he grins against my lips.

He pulls away with a grin on his face. We were both speechless. We just stared into each other's eyes until we heard someone clear their throat. I jump out of my thoughts to see Marcus staring down at us with a smirk playing on his lips. "You kids alright?"

I blush as Johnnie replies, "Yes sir, we're just fine."

Marcus nods slowly before picking up my bag that was next to the bed. "Let's go kiddo."

He walks out of the room as I get up. Johnnie kisses my cheek, "Feel better, okay?"

I smile, "Thanks Johnnie."

I walk out of the room to be met with a smirking Marcus. "What are you smirking at?" I snap.

He shakes his head, "Nothing, nothing at all."

On the way to the car, I catch people staring at me and whispering as I walked. I cast my eyes down, trying to ignore the stares that burned into my skull. Marcus wraps his arm around my shoulders, making me flinch slightly. "Are you okay?" He murmurs into my ear.

I nod slowly, "I guess."

In the car, it is complete silence apart from the radio playing Of Mice & Men. After a few minutes, he turns down the radio, "So," he drawls. "You and Johnnie huh?"

I gasp, swatting his arm, "Shut up!"

He laughs loudly before saying, "I ship it." In the most serious voice ever.

"Marcus," I say fervently, warning him to drop the subject.

He peeks over at me, "C'mon, you and that boy are a nice couple. I declared your ship name a long time ago."

I blush furiously as he continues, "What you you think of Shonnie? Or Jay?"

"I will kill your babies," I growl as I sink into my seat.

He chuckles as he turns his full attention to the road. I turn the radio back up only to have Teenagers playing loudly. I start singing along with Marcus as we headbang. He was a cool dude.

We finally reached the house, where he brought me to the couch. His features were serious, meaning that he wanted to talk about what had happened in school. Greeaaat. "Shay," he begins. "I don't know much about you, neither does your mother to be honest. But I do know what happened today was because of what happened while you lived with your father. And I'm here to tell you that I understand what you're going through."

I furrow my eyebrows as I look up at him, "Really?"

He nods, looking away while running his fingers through his messy hair, "When I was younger, I was bullied severely, not only by kids at school, but by my brother. He would beat me up all of the time and he drove me to attempt suicide."

I had to hold in a gasp at that. Him? Attempt suicide? He was one of the most cheerful men I've ever met. Hesitantly, he pulled up his shirt a few inches only to show me what he was talking about. Silvery lines criss crossed on his waist and abdomen. I wanted to cry at the sight. "I know how you feel Shay." He says. "And if you ever need anyone to talk to, I will always be here for you."

I couldn't hold it back anymore. Tears started pouring out of my eyes as I threw my arms around him. He hesitantly hugged me back, rubbing circles on my back. After a few seconds of silence, he pulls away with a soft smile, "So...what do you want to do."

I shrug, making his grin go wider, "Go get your comforter and bring it down here."

*****************************************************************************

Oh I just can't wait to be king!

We have been watching Disney movies for hours while eating some Chinese food Marcus had ordered. How he knew I loved Chinese I will never know. Right now, we were in the middle of The Lion King. I was holding a pint of white rice with sweet and sour sauce with a pair of chopsticks cradled in the other hand. "How can you eat with chopsticks?" Marcus grumbles as he pokes at his shrimp with a fork.

I steal one of the shrimp from his plate and pop it in my mouth, "It's a talent of mine." I smirk.

He shakes his head as he sets down the plate, "You are a strange one."

Just as he says that, the front door opens to reveal my mom. I grin at her, "Hey."

She scans the floor in disapproval. There were movie cases, cans and empty Chinese containers littered on the carpet. "I hope you plan to clean this up."

Marcus and I looked at each other before a plan came to my head. I jump up, wrapped in my comforter and carrying my food, running away from the living room, "Dudes, you're on your own!"

That's when I hear the doorbell ring. I rush to the door, opening it with a grin. Johnnie was standing there, probably about to burst from laughing at my appearance. "Get inside and shut up," I snap playfully.

He enters without another word. Good choice. Maybe I should explain. I had changed into my Minions pyjamas as I was grabbing my blanket earlier. So I kinda looked like a freak show right now. "I see you feel better," he smiles at me.

I nod, "Yeah, Marcus cheered me up with some Disney movies."

"That's good," he says.

It was a bit awkward, him standing there. He did kiss me earlier. He didn't say that he liked me or say he wanted to be more than friends or what. Honestly, I'm fairly confused. I bite my lip as Mom enters the room, "Shay, you should help Marcus."

I snort, "Hey, it was his idea. And most of that mess was his."

She puts a hand on her hip, "Shay..."

I hold my hands up in defeat, "Fine."

Mom gets out of her sassy pose and smiles at Johnnie, "It's good to see you."

He nods in her direction, "It's good to see you too Mrs. Haven."

She chuckles, "Johnnie, outside of school, it's Sheryl."

She goes into the kitchen, making me sigh. I glance at Johnnie from the corner of my eye. "Can I say something." We say at the same time.

We laugh nervously. We are so awkward now! "You go," I say, staring down at my feet.

He bites his lip slightly, "Look, I'm sorry for kissing you."

My heart drops at his words, "What?"

"It's obvious you don't like me like that," he explains. "But I really like you. And it would be great if we can still be friends."

He...likes me? He likes me? Did he drink crazy juice? "Johnnie, why would you think I don't like you?"

He looks me straight in the eyes with surprise. I smile at his shocked gaze. "You like me?"

I nod as his mouth twists into a wide grin. "So...wanna be my girlfriend then?" He asks quickly.

"Of course, how could I refuse?" I reply with the same shit eating grin.

"Just kiss each other already!" I hear Marcus yell from the living room.

I blush at his words as Johnnie giggles. This is going to be one weird relationship.