Ch. 22

Ariana Hale

I woke up laying in a huge dark room, that was littered in bones. I pushed myself off the floor, my body aching in the process. I looked around to see if there was anyway to climb or go under the big iron gating. I grabbed a bar, shaking it to see if it would break.

The bars did not move. I looked between the gaps trying to find anything. I shook the gate, not even budging it. I groaned in annoyance kicking the gate.

"Scott", I called out in a regular voice, "Scott!" I yelled. No response was heard. What the hell did I get myself into now?

*

I kicked the bars one more time, only for it to vibrate back. My bones were aching in protest of what I was doing. Voices floated into my ears.

"Tell me, Scott, they ever teach you the myth of Artemis and Actaeon in school? No? I didn't think so. Well, Artemis was a goddess... And Actaeon was a hunter that happened to see Artemis bathing naked one day. This did not make the goddess too happy. In fact, she was angry. Artemis turned Actaeon into a deer and this sent his own hounds into a frenzy. He was actually torn apart by his own hunting dogs" Kate said.

"What are you doing?" Scott asked breathlessly.

Kate only chuckled, "I'm not gonna turn you into a deer. But you are about to become something unrecognizable to your friends. They won't know what they're fighting. Or killing" Kate dramatically said.

What had she meant by that? Something unrecognizable? What could she possibly-

"No" I whispered.

Kate was gonna turn Scott into a Berserker, changing him into something unrecognizable to us.

"No" I repeated only louder, trying to open the gate. I shook rather hard, tried lifting it up, tried pushing the bars apart but nothing was breaking these bars.

"No! Kate stop!" I yelled pleadingly. I kicked the gate with all the streghth I could muster. "No, stop!" I yelled punching the iron bars.

"Scott!" I yelled kicking the gate.

"Kate, hold on..." Scott trailed off hisitantly, fear evident in his voice, "No, Kate, no. No, Kate! Don't!" Scott tried stopping her. I punched the gate again. "No, no. No! Wait! No, no! Kate, don't! No! Stop! Wait, no! Ariana!" Scott screamed.

I screamed back, calling his name, and punching the iron gate with all the strength left in me. The gate shook violently, rocks coming off from the cave like prison. Tears streamed down my face.

Even now, I could hear Scott's plead for help. I could hear him calling my name over and over.

And I couldn't do anything to help him.

*

The gate was finally loosening after several attempts of breaking it down. I growled in anger. I kept punching and punching over again.

I only stopped when a Berserker came around the corner. I backed up slowly as it walked towards me. Kate came out of no where, unlocking the set of bars.

I was now backed up all the way, into a wall. The Berserker stepped through the gates growling at me. I roared at him. I had waited a lot of energy trying to get out of this place. Trying to get to Scott.

The Berserker pulled a bone shape knifed from its chest. My eyes widened as it tried stabbing me with it. I lazily dodged its hit. It swung again. I caught its arm, just in time.

I furrowed my eyebrows as sparks exploded where I touched its skin. I only get those sparks with Scott. I saw the two bands around his arm. I looked through the skull, staring in it's eyes.