Chapter 7

After an hour of just catching up and talking, we had to go to our grandmother's house, which was conveniently just next door. We walked over and sat down at the dining table after greeting all of our many relatives. She told us many new things that had happened in the past year. She made her own songs and she won a speaking competition. No surprise there, she talks so much. Although, she had told us a lot, I still feel that there is something really important that she wasn't telling us...

"Ding Dong!" The sound of the door bell ringing interrupted my train of thoughts. I instantly rushed to the door, knowing it was Claire. Opening the door, I could barely recognize my cousin. She had grown way taller and instead of wearing dresses and sandals, she wore shorts and sneakers. I hugged her, before I felt a returning embrace from her. Even though she lived in the same city as me, I rarely got to see her. Anyway, once we all finished saying our hellos, we sat down and had a 'girl talk'. As always, we started talking about school life before. Then, suddenly, Xana started to talk about relationship. I felt my cheeks blush as I tried to change the subject. Wait. I am not in love with anyone. Why do I feel so embarrassed?

"Whitney! Hey! Are you still there?" Claire screamed as she dumped a bit of water from her water bottle onto my head. I jumped back in shock as I hit Claire playfully in the arm. "Why did you do that for?!" I shouted. "You were stoning and not responding to a word we were saying so..." she said as she shrugged. "What were you thinking about?" Olivia questioned me as she leaned forward. "Nothing..." I lied as I scratched the back of my neck. "You're the worst liar ever. Cousins aren't supposed to lie to each other, tell me what you were thinking about." Olivia said as she raised her eyebrows. "Why do you want to know?" I said as my frown crept into a smile. Claire, knowing that there was no point negotiating with me, changed the subject into something even worst than what we were talking about, her and Olivia's favourite celebrities.

I didn't know what it was with her and Olivia but they just kept on obsessing over random people I didn't even know. Emma Watson? Zoe Sugg? And what was Zalfie? It just got so annoying that I started playing 'Best Friend' by Jason Chen to wash away my sorrow. What I didn't know was that Xana. Claire and Olivia had crept off into another room...