Chapter 2

A/N: Just a little note bc I know this has confused some people: I'm going off the books not the films and in the books District 4 are Careers too and there's no specification of how old they are (but more about that later)...

Also, if anyone's here who's read this already and has now come back to an edited version, I'd love for you to drop me a comment and tell me what you think!! X

GLIMMER POV

Marvel isn't talking to me. I mean, he hasn't said a word to me since we broke up. But that was weeks ago, and this is now, this is the real life Hunger Games. 

My heart breaks again every time he gives me that blank face or shrugs me off with one-word answers. I can't stand looking in his eyes and not seeing a loving smile looking back at me. All I want to do is scream at him and shake him and make him remember what we were, but I can't. Instead all I get is an empty desperation, plus the added bonus of knowing I'm probably going to die.

 We arrived in the Capitol about half an hour ago. Our escort showed us our rooms, and then left us to our own devices, so I took a shower, and now I'm just debating whether to go and find Marvel or stay put. I feel like I should be happy. Everyone spent the whole day asking me how excited I am, and now I'm sat in the most beautiful room I've ever seen, eating amazing food and drinking wine with the boy I'm supposed to be in love with. 

He didn't even give me a reason. He broke up with me through a message. 

Hey, I think now there's only a few weeks till my Games, we need to stop seeing each other. Sorry, and good luck. Marvel x

I burst into tears. My Mum heard my cries, and she came to comfort me, but I didn't want her. I only wanted Marvel, and I would only ever want Marvel, but he left me.

Mum wouldn't leave. In the end I told her she could never make it better, and left the house myself. I went straight to try to speak to Marvel, but he wasn't having it. All he would say was that he was trying to make it into a clean break before the Games, so I wouldn't worry while he was in there. As if I wouldn't worry.

A single tear rolls down my cheek at the memory, but I quickly wipe it away. I need to buck up my game. I can't afford to cry every time I set eyes on my District partner, God forbid if the sponsors see it.  

I swing my legs of the bed, and head out to the lounge. There's a few people sprawled out on the luxury sofa watching the Reapings, including Marvel. With him are our Mentors, Gloss, and Melanie. I'd sort of hoped it would be Gloss' sister Cashmere instead, but rumour has it she wanted a year off. The two siblings are infamous in District One. I've walked past them a few times, just in the streets, and they make you want to cross the road and hide. They have similar features and a similar deathly glint in their eye, with hardened expressions. I don't know Melanie as well, as she won a while ago. She's getting older, but she has a look like the others. The desperation you need in order to be a Victor is still there, years later.  

Marvel doesn't look at me. I go over and sit next to Gloss on the end. "Why didn't you come and get me?" I ask. Melanie looks up at me. 

"We all thought you were asleep. We didn't want to disturb you," she says. 

I have a feeling nobody in this room really likes me. I don't blame them. I'm not exactly the Career tribute they were hoping for. 

They aren't far into the recaps. I catch the end of the District 2 Reapings, and get to take a look at my future allies. The girl is quite small and scowls at the camera. The boy is fair haired built well, and is clearly a people pleaser. He's your typical dream tribute: hungry for blood. 

The tributes from District 4 catch my attention. The girl is tall with brown hair, and the boy is tanned and good-looking.  Those two will be Career tributes as well. 

A part of me wonders whether I could get to know the boy tribute, and whether if I did Marvel would be jealous. Perhaps that would work. I know Marvel would feel inferior in front of this guy. 

But these thoughts aren't going to do me any good in the arena. If I'm going to die, it might as well be with Marvel. Not playing silly games. I love him. 

And I'll never love anyone else.

TORY POV

Hey Cally,

The Capitol's a nice city. Everyone back in District 4 told me it was amazingly beautiful, and will 'wow you' with it's excellent splendour, but it's nice. Not quite lived up to my expectations, but there you go. Can't have everything in life, can you?

Ember, the girl who volunteered, keeps trying to talk to me, wants me to be her ally. Wait a second! We don't even have the full set of tributes in the Capitol yet! I want to see who I'm up against, and then decide if I want an ally. I suppose, being from District 4, I'll have to be a Career tribute as well. You will get to see all of this, though. 

The only thing I really care about is that I try to come back to you. It may not happen, but I want to try. I want to make you, Jenna and my parents proud. It would be better if Ember won, and then perhaps you two can get in contact. 

But apart from being sent to my death, I'm perfectly fine. I'll find a way to get this to you before I die, but you never know. I might come out of there alive. If I do die, Mum will save this for you until you're old enough. Give her my love, will you?

I love you so much.

I read the letter through, then screwed it up and threw it in the bin. Too casual. And too short. What the hell was I supposed to say? Picking up another piece of paper, I started anew.

My Cally,

It's very hard for me to write this letter. As you will know when you read this, I've been chosen for the Hunger Games-

A knock on the door interrupts me. I quickly turned the paper over to hide what I was doing.

"We're watching the Reaping recaps if you want to join us," Finnick pops his head around the mahogany door with a stupid grin on his face and sadness in his eyes. He runs his hand through his perfect hair. I despise him. I cannot face that life; knowing what you did, how many died at your hands and how many families you ruined. No matter what I may say to my parents, or in those letters, I hope it's not me. I hope I don't have to live with what I've done. 

Finnick seems to almost love it. The fame, his status, the fact the world fancies him. 

"Sure," I say. I get up from my little table and go and join him.

"What'cha doing?" he asked. None of your business.

"Oh, just... drawing," I say.