Chapter 8

MARVEL POV

When Glimmer's name was called, it was a gradual shocking realisation that flooded over me and slowly cut off my air supply. She was walking up to the stage, and with every footstep the silence surrounding it became more deafening. 

Please, I thought, as I waited for "I VOLUNTEER!" 

And then just like that, she was on the stage. Our escort was asking for volunteers, her eyes darting around the crowd. 

"No volunteers this year? Anyone?" 

Glimmer's eyes were horrified, staring blankly over the quiet crowd. 

"Alright, then. So, onto the boys!" 

And it was then that I nearly fell over. Glimmer stood there helplessly, her pretty blonde hair trailing in the light breeze. The silence screaming as our escort began to reach into the boy's names. Where was the volunteer? 

My head was pounding and rushing as I wondered how to do this. I'm eighteen. My family have paid thousands over years for this moment. And Glimmer's up there alone. All I wanted to do was rush up to her and pull her into my arms. She looked like she was watching her life slip away. 

I made my mind up as soon as our escort began reading the name of the male tribute. 

"Matt-"

"I VOLUNTEER!"

EMBER POV

"I would say play it vicious, but I don't doubt that every other Career tribute will be trying that angle, so I'm a bit stuck," My mentor, Timmy, says. She purses her lips and looks thoughtfully at me. We've been sat here for hours trying to come up with an 'angle', and I'm starting to get sick of it. She's already made me try to be flirty, and that was so utterly cringeworthy that I don't even want to go into it. 

"Can I just try being myself?" I say crossly. For some reason, she won't allow it. 'Too boring', apparently. 

She purses her lips, breathing in and out slowly. "I don't think-"

"What? What else am I going to do? We're out of time, let me try to do my own thing!" I snap, huffing loudly. Timmy frowns at me dangerously, as if I'm a misbehaving child she wants to slap and scold. 

But she clearly knows she won't win. "Fine. You can try it. Do not be boring! There are tons of interviews. Yours must be memorable." 

I nod, giving her a brief smile, my eyes remaining stern. She fiddles with her basic brown top, and I know I've won. 

"Good evening, Ember. How are things going in preparation for the Games?" She says, putting on a fake, 'nice' voice and leaning forward slightly as if to convince me she's friendly. 

"Very well, thank you Caesar. I'm as ready as I'll ever be," I answer confidently. 

Timmy thinks for a moment, and continues. "Now, as you know, our audience look forward every year to the Career alliance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am assuming that based off of your training score, you will be a part of it?" 

I smile coyly. "Well, actually, nobody has really spoken about that yet. My plan at the moment is to just head on into the arena and see if they kill me or not." 

Timmy raises her eyebrows, and nods slowly. I can tell she found that funny, but she wouldn't admit it. She's too tightly-wound for her own good. 

"I think that's all you can really do, so, good plan. And congratulations on your training score, too. A ten is fantastic!" 

"Thank you. I'm just thankful I didn't get a 3."