Chapter 31

CLOVE POV (Well who else theyre all dead hehe x)

"I have to show you something," the boy whispers, taking my hand gently. I scoff and pull it away, crossing my arms in defiance. 

"What is it, first?" 

He grins, showing his perfect teeth. "It's a surprise," 

"No way," 

Cato rolls his deep blue eyes and runs a hand through his hair, sticking it up. "Please,"

"I don't trust you," 

He laughs cockily. "Sure you do," 

"Sure I don't,"

"Come on, Clovey. It'll be fun," he smiles, trying to grab my hand again and lead me away. I yank my fingers out of his grip again, a little rougher than I meant to. He frowns. "You okay?" 

I flash an uncommitted smile. "Fine," 

"So why won't you come with me? I promise you it's not horrible," he teases.

"Because I'll only hurt you," I whisper, staring at his chest. 

He slowly looks down, a puzzled expression on his face. "What?" he asks, his voice trembling. "Clove, you're freaking me out," 

I place my hand over his heart, positive that there should be a red stain over his shirt, but there's nothing there. Instead, the steady beat of the organ inside. "You're okay," I whisper. "You have to be,"

But I'm wrong. The crimson blossom empties out from underneath my palm, reaching over his shirt. His heartbeat slows down, almost to a stop. He stares at me in horror. "What did you do?" he mumbles frantically, before ripping my hand away. I stand back, terrified. I told him, I told him. 

"Why is it that everything you touch, you ruin, Clove?" he shouts. 

"Clove?" 

I open my eyes. Back in the Capitol, the first thing I notice is my mentor, Enobaria, looming over me, her scary teeth bared in my face. "You alive?" she asks. 

I might as well not be. 

They told me everything. My memory is still blurry on what happened those last few minutes in the arena, but they filled me in. Cato stabbed himself, he died, just so I could go home. And the idiot didn't even stop to ask if that was okay with me. After he did it, apparently I completely freaked out. I've got no clue what happened then, but they told me it was crazy. Correction: I was crazy. I'm assuming the Capitol wiped some of my memories at that point, because the last thing I can fathom is Cato with a sword in his chest before I woke up in the hospital room. 

It took me a week to escape that place, and they didn't even let me wander around or anything. I was a prisoner inside my room for seven whole days, with only occasional visits from Enobaria and the nurses. When they finally let me out, I took one look at my old room and burst into tears. It was embarrassing as hell, but all I could think of was how Cato and I were in that room. Before we started fighting, before he-

They gave me the spare room. It was smaller, but I could never have slept in the other one. 

After tonight I go home, but it won't feel like home anymore. The most home I've felt was only with my blue-eyed boy. I can't even fathom living back in that dead, empty house. Thank the Lord I get Victor's Village. 

"Get the hell up," Enobaria snaps. "We're almost home," 

I roll messily out of bed and check my reflection. Cold, dead eyes and horrible bed hair. How could Cato have even stood being around me? 

Just thinking of him hurts. It all feels so surreal, like nobody would actually sacrifice themselves for me. I guess I'll just go live my life, maybe I'll meet somebody else, maybe I won't. But Cato's not coming back. 

Cato's not ever coming back.