Chapter 13

CATO POV

I didn't expect to feel like that when I turned around and saw that Clove wasn't behind us. When she wasn't safe. She could have died, and I turned on my heel and saved myself. And I didn't even go back for her when we made it out of the woods and realised she was lagging behind. My gut is filled with shame, and I've barely said a word since we got back to the lake. I hope the group, and more importantly, the sponsors, don't take this as weakness. 

But I'm not going to think like that. That kind of thinking isn't going to get me anywhere. So I'm helping everyone sort through the supplies, looking for burn medicine and piling it all up so that District Three can do his booby-trap.

Clove is back on her feet minutes after we find the burn medicine, which improves my mood slightly. Her face resumes its usual scowl, and she's polishing a knife by the lake. I want to apologise for leaving her, but now isn't the time with all these allies fussing about. 

As for the alliance, I'm wondering if it's getting a little too large. Sure, Lover Boy and District Three might be helpful, but is it worth it? As for Ember, she's strong, but I'm beginning to trust her less and less. Nothing specific, but little things she does makes me doubt if I can count on her loyalty to the group. When Tory was killed, she barely batted an eyelid. It would most likely be the same story for the rest of us. As for Marvel and Glimmer: I do like them. And I don't want to be alone with Clove right now.

"We should go back to the woods, see if any tributes are about," Marvel suggests as we watch District Three go about his digging, picking at some dry nuts we found in a pack. "They could be hurt, so, easy pickings?" 

I wince. I don't want to. 

No, Cato. Think of the sponsors, out there with their painted faces cheering on the vicious Careers. I'm giving them what they want. 

"Yeah, let's do it," I say enthusiastically. "Good idea. We all alright to go?" 

We get to our feet, Glimmer's arrows clinking against each other. I smile at her, and she returns it. Since being in the arena, she's grown on me. She has a warm friendliness about her that I enjoy being around, especially during periods when the rest of the group aren't talking, which is pretty much ninety percent of the day. I can tell Marvel and Clove don't like it, but what are they going to do? I'm just being friendly. 

Soon, we're back in the woods, headed the way we ran out. We soon catch up with the damage, blackened trees and leaves that crisp up when I step on them. 

And then I see her. Fire Girl, who perhaps now has experienced what it's truly like to be on fire, laying against a tree in full view of any passing tribute. 

"Hey!" I shout, but the others have seen her already, and we begin to sprint, shouts of 'we found her!' emerging from our group. She sees us coming, and instantly gets up and belts, but she's injured. I can tell by the way she's running, with a stumbling limp. We really do have her now, for sure. 

Clearly she's realised she isn't going to outrun us, as she stops at another tree and begins to climb. Seriously? One foot after another, she scales the tree at a surprising pace, dragging herself further away from our reach. We arrive at the trunk, all of us watching her keenly. 

She's far up in the branches when she finally stops and looks down at us haughtily. I grip my sword, ready for her to fall down. 

"How's it with you?" she calls down to us. What's she doing? This is probably an attempt to amuse the Capitol, so I play along.

"A bit warm for my taste. You?" I reply.

"It's a bit cooler up here. Why don't you come on up?" she jokes. I chuckle. At least she's not crying and begging for her life.