Chapter 9

Luke came into consciousness slowly, humming at the warmth surrounding him and the cushiony feeling of the mattress dipping underneath him. He couldn't remember the last time he slept so peacefully, the Rebellion only able to provide firm and scratchy cots for their members. In fact, the only time he recalled feeling so safe and pleasant was on the cots on the Millennium Falcon , Han's arm curled around his waist. He could feel it now, the taller man pulling him closer so they could cuddle on the small bed. Lightly, Luke let his eyes flutter open, the fog created from his drowsiness blurring his sight. "Han?" he slurred, watching the tousled brown hair shift on the pillow.

Quickly moving to rub his eyes, Luke squinted in the dim light, finally able to make out the facial features of— "Anakin!" His voice cracked in betrayal, making the name come out in more of a a squeak than a shout.

Blue eyes met his in amusement, still a little dull from lack of sleep. "Who's Han?"

"No one," Luke snapped after clearing his throat. He sat up quickly and took in his new surroundings with bemusement. Padmé was still asleep on one side of him and Anakin was just beginning to rise on the other, still wearing his teasing smirk as he did so. "Wh-why am I in here? I thought I was sleeping on the couch."

Anakin ran a hand through his hair with a yawn, already moving to slide out of bed. "You were. Until you started screaming that is,"

"Screaming?" Luke had no recollection of waking up in the middle of the night. He had had that vicious nightmare and then went right back to the void of unconsciousness. He knew he was a heavy sleeper, but he still thought that someone carrying him into another room would have woken him up. He must've been more tired than he originally thought.

Anakin was tying on his robe in preparation to head to the fresher as he looked Luke up and down, the boy still looking flustered beyond belief. "Yeah. A nightmare. You were calling out for your father," Anakin hesitated as he watched the color leave Luke's face, "But uh, I didn't want to pry. It's probably a personal thing so don't feel obligated to discuss it. Padmé and I just wanted to make sure you got a good night's sleep. Especially after everything that's happened."

Luke nodded dully, glad his mind was at least smart enough to not let loose his true identity while he was asleep. It wouldn't have been easy to explain why Luke was calling Anakin his father in his sleep, especially since, in this specific timeline, Luke was older than Anakin.

"But you never really answered my other question," said Anakin with a mischievous glint in his eyes. Luke gulped. "Why did you think I was someone named Han? A special someone perhaps?"

"Anakin leave the poor boy alone," A sluggish voice said before Luke could even splutter out an answer. He turned to find Padmé sending him a weary smile while shooting daggers at her husband simultaneously. "There's no need for us to know his personal life unless he chooses to enclose it."

"I was only messing with him!" Anakin grumbled, "Besides, he already knows our personal life, what's the difference?"

"The difference is we told him our personal life." A pillow flew through the air and hit Anakin square in the face, the Jedi actually caught off guard and stumbling back with an oof. Luke snickered as he turned to see his mother calmly getting out of bed, a wicked grin on her face. However, her features softened as soon as she turned back to Luke, kindness seeping from every inch of her, "Would you like some breakfast dear?"

"Oh, you don't have to—"

Padmé silenced him with a wave. "Please, you're a guest. Besides, if I don't cook then Threepio will attempt to care for you and I promise you that that is the last thing you want." Luke laughed, wishing he could tell her that he knew first hand how Threepio tended to overreact about things.