Chapter 23

The first thing Luke noticed when his vision finally cleared was his father battling with Palpatine in a duel of brilliant and deadly flashes of light.

     Their sabers clashed back and forth and Luke watched in awe, trying to rise himself. However, he felt a stabbing pain at his throat and went to rub it with a wince.

      Then, his father's crystal clear blue eyes were upon him, looking relieved and worried. Luke was about to smile back, tell him he was alright, when the red lightsaber came into his vision.

     He opened his mouth to scream too late, as the blade drove into Anakin's side. A silent scream formed the Jedi's mouth and he crumpled to the ground.

      Luke stared in horror.

     "Father..." Luke trailed off, staring at the still body.

     'Now...go my son...Leave me...'

      Rage burned Luke's vision and his lightsaber snapped to his hand as he jumped towards the Sith. Sidious was definitely surprised, but still managed to block Luke's emerald blade.

      "You have been quite the nuisance my dear boy." The Sith hissed.

      Luke narrowed his eyes in return, snapping his saber towards any weakness he could find in the Sith's fighting form. 

      However, every time, the red managed to best the green.

      Luke did a spin and swung around Sidious, arcing his blade down in a hard offense.

     Sidious whirled to match it, letting loose Sith lightning from his gnarly fingers. Luke reflected it with his blade and stumbled against the Force push.

     "The Jedi are no more. Give up." Sidious said.

      "Never." Luke cried, lashing back and forth at dizzying speeds, striking at each vulnerable spot. Sidious blinked in surprise and dodged the rage-filled attacks.

      "Yes...use your anger." Sidious said with a smile.

     Luke frowned at the words, but continued the fight. Calling the Force, he mentally pushed the Sith hard towards the wall. When Sidious impacted and slid to the floor, Luke aimed his blade back at him, going in for a kill.

     Sidious snarled, rising quickly and meeting Luke's offense. They went back and forth almost endlessly, Luke's skills somehow managing to come out of hiding. His unconscious father boosted his determination much as Luke being unconscious had done for Anakin. The red saber grazed Luke's sword arm and he gasped, switching hands and still aching from being Force choked.

     "I grow tired of this. I will kill you quickly if you end this now." Sidious bargained.

     "No!" Luke cried, narrowing his eyes. Power raged around the boy and the Sith grinned.

     "Ah...so powerful...just like your father..." He noted. Luke scowled, the Force growing stronger and stronger around him until--

     The flash of light was sudden, and the next thing Luke knew, Sidious was slumped on the ground, struggling to rise. Luke blinked in confusion right before the door burst open and Mace Windu and three other Jedi appeared at the door, lightsabers ablaze. The Force had directed the Jedi Masters there with a mental warning, but they had not been expecting this.

      "Skywalker." Windu said in acknowledgement.

      Sidious was still on the floor, his lightsaber having rolled away, and he was...laughing?