09 ━ FORGIVENESS

DESTRUCTION.
( chapter nine. )

Edited 12/27/2015 @3:22 AMEdited 05/31/2018 @1:39 AM

Edited 05/31/2018 @1:39 AM

  THE BOY WAS QUICK TO GET UP, stumbling backwards to avoid Andrea's knife. She slashed the edge of the blade in his direction, and he disappeared in a blur of grey and blue. Andy didn't relax in the lack of his presence.

Instead, she kept the grip tight on her knife, ignoring the throbbing pain from the wound on her thigh. Her feet moved of their own accord, turning her in circles to catch even the slightest glimpse of the boy. She had to be prepared for any outcome.

  But, he was so young.

  Andrea's stomach churned. She wondered if he'd been given a choice. He seemed less machine than the Jones woman had ever been during her time with HYDRA. It was hard to imagine, but it wasn't entirely impossible for volunteers to take part in experimentation.

  The thought made Andy more nauseated. She didn't want to believe it, though, in order to confirm her suspicion she would have to gain his trust. So, she bided her time.

  There was another blur from the corner of Andrea's vision. She whirled around, stunned by the sudden sight of the Sokovian. His speed made him nearly imperceptible.

  He stood casually, but his gaze was calculated and calm. If he was concerned about the threat Andrea portrayed, he didn't show it. He was a cautious person, that was good.

  Andy's voice broke through the nearly silent forest, "Do you know who I am?"

  She was stalling. If this was going to work, she would have to set a plan into motion. The sound of gunfire was distant now, and Andy knew she'd wandered too far from the battlefield.

  There was no calling for help.

  The boy grinned and gave a slow nod. Andy pursed her lips. She knew it was a bad idea, but she did  it anyway. The knife fell from her grasp, in spite of every ounce of common sense that told her to keep it held tight.

  The Sokovian boy watched her, caution still in his gaze.

"I'm not the enemy, no matter what HYDRA has told you," she said. "You might not think I'm an Avenger like the rest of the world, but I'm not the Reaper either."

  In the midst of her rant, Andy felt her gaze fall. She knew taking her eyes off the target was a bad idea almost as soon as she'd done it. But, by the time she'd looked back up, he was gone.

  Andrea cursed, and then every muscle froze as an arm wrapped around her shoulder.

  "Walk with me?" The boy asked, though, with the knife he held against her stomach, Andy figured she didn't have much of a choice.