12 ━ BURDEN FREE

DESTRUCTION.
( chapter twelve. )

Edited 12/27/2015 @3:35 AMEdited 05/08/2019 @2:58 PM

Edited 05/08/2019 @2:58 PM

ANDREA FELT HER GUT TWIST. "Why are you showing me these?" She demanded, turning l to look at Tony. Her throat felt tight and she wasn't sure if the Stark man could hear the way her voice shook.

  Andy was so desperate to feel strong, but how was strength possible when even the smallest things still triggered her? Why was it that everything she did still made her feel like a failure?

Andrea swallowed back her sorrow and inhaled deeply. She knew better. She couldn't give in like she had in DC, she had to be strong, even if it was the last thing she truly felt.

  Andrea looked back at the monitors. For Tony's sake, she hoped that whatever he had planned it was worth it. From the sigil, it was clear that they'd acquired the files during their raid earlier that day.

  Andy felt annoyed as she recalled another one of her many losses. She glanced at the information on the screen, focusing only on the words she saw and not on the sigil that marked HYDRA's belongings.

Tony didn't say much in-between the time it took for Andy to get herself together. He seemed to be making his own attempt to decipher something. Though, unlike JARVIS, it wasn't code he was trying to understand— it was her.

  Andrea resisted a scoff as she steeled herself from his eyes. She told them that she was ready to return to the field and it hadn't been a lie. But, that win should have been at her hands and it weighed on her for a stubborn reason she didn't care to admit.

  How could they not understand the importance it had to her?

  "I know what they took from you, Andy." The sound of Tony's soft voice was sudden, but the Jones woman didn't tense as she was pulled from her thoughts. She was still too busy clinging to her composure, even as her heart ached and writhed in her chest.

  Andrea allowed her eyes to meet Tony's and his gaze─ full of an endless concern─ seemed to shatter her right there. Andy felt her breath shake as she tried to conjure a reply.

However, upon coming to the realization that she had no words, Andrea pursed her lips and let the Stark man continue, "I know you wanted that win today. But, we care about your wellbeing more than your bruised ego."

  Tony smiled then, humour in his eyes as he reached over to gently flick Andy's forehead. It wasn't unkind, but rather a comforting action meant to scold her. The female smiled half-heartedly, eyes beginning to sting because she knew in her heart that he was right. She was blaming people who weren't at fault, and that made her feel all the more worse.