Chapter One

"Honestly, Alahna,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest. “You should start growing up. Even just a little bit?” Nope, of course she wouldn’t listen. Even at sixteen she was still overjoyed by the new tire swing our village park just installed. As mature as she looked she acted like 10. Not that it was bad, but it was…annoying.

“Pshh,” Alahna said, hopping on the tire swing for the nth time. “Like growing up ever helped anyone. I mean look at you. All you ever do is study study study. You rarely go to parties. No wonder you don’t get asked out often.”

I rolled my eyes. Okay, maybe I rarely did go to parties, but I didn’t study like my life depended on it. I mean, what’s wrong about studying beforehand? Alahna didn’t even study at all.

And I didn’t get asked out often—in fact, I’ve never been asked out. Funny, being nineteen, the usual American girl would’ve had about three boyfriends in her lifetime. I had never found the need of having someone to be with, anyway. I thought boys were pathetic. Nothing personal to those who have boyfriends.

Alahna swung back and forth on the tire swing, her shrill laugh filling the empty park. I resolved to just leaning against the almost-bald oak tree the tire swing was attached to. It was that or the small plastic kiddie gazebo at the other side of the park.

I flipped through my phone, mentally cursing myself for not being able to bring my earphones. I glanced around idly around the park. Children that were about six or seven were chasing each other near the fountain that was at the center of the park. Couples—incredibly touchy-feely couples, mind you—were on those old-fashioned brass park benches that were scattered around the park. From time to time some random dog would trot across the street. It was the usual park environment, on a usual summer day. And I was incredibly bored.

After two long hours under the scorching hot sun I decided that it was probably time to head home and get back to my air conditioned room.

“Alahna,” I called. She looked in my direction, then pouted.

“Don’t give me that face, Alahna,” I warned. Her puppy-pout face was very cute, truth be told, and ninety-nine percent of the time she got away with it. “You know it won’t work on me.”

“Aww, come on Katie,” she whined. “Just another ten minutes?”

“Don’t you find it hot?” I said in disbelief, pulling her by the arm. “You’ll get sunburned.” She resisted. Of course she resisted, like the little girl she thought she was.

“Fine!” Alahna said, disentangling herself from the swing. “But only because you’ll promise that we’re coming back tomorrow, okay?”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “Well, yes, Mother.” Alahna smiled innocently at me before trotting ahead towards the concession stand.

“Treeeey!” I heard Alahna scream. She broke into a run towards some tall dude wearing a gray shirt with dark hair. “Treeey!”

“Woah, easy there,” the guy, who I supposed was this Trey person, said as my little sister collided into him. He stretched his arms and Alahna gave him a big hug, looking tiny in his arms.

Probably her new boyfriend, I thought, rolling my eyes. I approched them, arms folded, my patience growing thinner. It was really hot that day.

This Trey guy looked like he was twenty five or something. He looked more like Alahna’s big brother than a possible boyfriend.

Alahna grabbed me by the wrist and shoved me into Trey’s face. “This is Katie, my sister! She’s nineteen.”

Trey gave me a big, toothy smile and held his hand out. “Nice to meet you, Katie.”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, shaking his hand awkwardly.

He chuckled. “Nothing like your sister. Anyway, this is Garrett. My brother.”

I glanced around. There wasn’t anyone with Trey. My eyebrows shot up.

“Oi Garrett,” Trey said, his voice exasperated. “Stop hiding.”

“I’m not hiding,” someone mumbled from behind Trey. “I was buying your food.”

“This is Garrett,” Trey said, turning to Alahna and I. “He’s twenty-one.”

Garrett didn’t say anything. He gave me a quick glance, put his hands into his pockets, then glanced around.

“He’s shy,” Trey whispered to me. I smiled.

“Hi Garrett! I’m Alahna,” Alahna said, sticking a hand out at him. Garrett also gave her a quick glance and looked away. My sister awkwardly lowered her hand. Alahna and I looked at each other and shrugged.

“So,” Trey said after a long moment of silence. “Where are you two heading?”

“Home,” I said before Alahna could open her mouth. She frowned at me.

“Already?” Trey said. “Well, there’s a party later at our house at 7. We'll pick you up since Garrett and I will be coming home from his band practice. If you want to go.”

I tried not to laugh at how Garrett, already 21, still needed someone to pick him up. 

It was Alahna’s turn to speak before me. “Of course we’ll go! Won’t we, Katie?” she said, giving me an agree-or-shut-the-fuck-up look. I cringed.

“Fine.”