Chapter Thirty One

It was a cool, breezy night, and I was lying next to the cordless phone, waiting for Garrett’s scheduled call. We had a fight last week because the boys were telling me stories about how late he would come home during parties with the fanbases, and he reportedly had gone on a whoring spree. They had no evidence to it but it still got me angry, and he hadn't returned my calls for the past five days. I was startng to worry and was missing him terribly. The longer we were apart, Garrett's changes became more noticeable. He'd call hours overdue, sometimes he'd hang up without even saying I love you, sometimes he'd just ignore me when I told him good night.

I nearly jumped when the phone rang, and I scrambled to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Katherine, it’s your mother.”

I felt my heart drop. “Oh, hi Mum.” Of course it was my mom. She was the only person in the world who ever called me by my complete first name.

“Good news, sweetie. You passed Harvard!” my mom said excitedly. “The results just came in today. Your dad and I are so proud of you, honey.”

“Really?” I said. “That’s great, Mum.” I could hear the lack of enthusiasm in my own voice, but it didn’t seem to bother my mom.

“Your dad and I already scheduled a flight for you tomorrow.”

“What? Tomorrow?” I said, frowning. Tomorrow—that was a week before Garrett and the boys would come home from tour. "But Mom, enrollment doesn't start in two months."

“Yes, dear. We know that. But your father insisted that we send you there early so you could get used to the new surroundings."

"But Mooooom," I wailed. "My friends? I was going to meet them in a week. Can't me just reschedule the flight?"

"NO," someone shouted in the background. Dad. I rolled my eyes. Must my mom put all her calls on speaker? "AND YOU WON'T BE GOING HOME FOR VACATION."

My mom sighed. "I'm sorry honey."

"But there are a lot of flights that I could take next week! It's not like I'm going to die if I don't get there early. And Mom, what about Garrett? I won't be able to say good bye to him."

Pause.

"I don't know what I should do."

I felt the anger rise to my chest. "You don't know what to do? Or you're just forcing yourself not to do anything about it? Stop making excuses Mom, I know that you don't like Garrett that much, but I love him, okay?" 

"Katherine, you know your father. Once he decides on something it's hard to change his mind. I wish I could do something about it but I can't. He thinks it's best for you."

"YOU'RE BETTER OFF WITH KEITH."

I seethed. "Dad!" I shouted. How dare he say that? Was he the one who was worthy of choosing who I should love? 

"Your ticket should arrive later or tomorrow morning in the mail. I’m so proud of you. I love you, sweetie.”

And with that she clicked off. I was left there with my mouth gaping. I was leaving Arizona for four years, and I wouldn’t be able to see the boys again.

I waited for Garrett to call, thinking of how I should break the news to him.

Two hours. The phone remained silent. I pulled out a book and started reading it, but got bored after the first few chapters. Three hours. I’d browsed through the channels but found nothing interesting, and ended up switching of the television in disgust. Four hours. Five hours. I was about to drift off to sleep when the phone rang.