Chapter 3:

~

I'm lying in the dark and wondering where you are.

~

Ross had swung his bag down on Fish's desk chair as he walked into the light tower.

"Is Fish training you?" Maxi asked filling up his drink bottle from the sink behind Ross.

"Yeah, she is." Ross smiled and Maxi chuckled.

"Why are you all happy? Did Fish suck you?" Maxi asked and Ross looked shocked.

"No, but that was a funny joke. Because Fish suck, anyways. No she didn't. Wh-why are you guys together or something?" Ross asked unaware of her relationship status.

"Fish and me? No way. Oh god no." Maxi said laughing. "I've known her for years and years. I used to date her sister. Bro, that's so weird." Maxi laughed and grabbed his jacket from the coat hanger by the door. "Fish is probably waiting for you." Maxi said walking out as he took the keys from the desk. Ross walked down the set of stairs and saw Fish was stretching, folding her leg backwards and moving her neck side to side.

"So, are you suppose to show me around for something?" Ross asked shoving his hands in his pockets.

"You're late." Fish said rolling her eyes and stared to jog.

"Late? By like, two minutes." Ross said checking his watch and jogging with Fish.

"You've just delayed everything Blondie. Now we'll be two minutes late for debriefing, two minutes late for unpacking." Fish complained as she ran. "You better hope the Gods are on your side today." Fish said and ran a bit faster. Ross couldn't keep up with her speed.

"Could you maybe slow it down? Or can we have a break?" Ross asked as his breaths became deeper and louder.

"Death doesn't wait." Fish said running faster, now sprinting. Ross didn't have any adrenaline in him, so he just walked to where Fish was waiting for him. She was sitting on a rock by the water.

"Awesome, break time." Ross said sitting down next to Fish.

"So, how are-" Ross said trailing off as Fish got up and ran again. "You've got to be kidding me." Ross muttered and groaned. Fish smiled as she ran. It was probably the groan which made her smile.

"Come on Brady. You have to run." Fish said pulling Ross by the arm. "you are so unfit. Like a sack on potatoes." Fish laughed and have Ross a flirtatious smile.

"I am not." Ross said and started to run.

"There we go." Fish said once the two had made it back to the tower. "Drink?" Fish asked passing Ross a bottle of water and he sculled it down. "Whoa, steady tiger, that's your only water bottle for the day." Fish said seriously and then laughed when Ross' jaw dropped and the rest of the water dropped out, kind of like a fountain. "I'm kidding." Fish laughed and Maxi walked over.

"Can you patrol the beach this morning? I have to help set the chopper up. There's apparently a shark in the water." Maxi said scaring Ross on his first day.

"It's fine. They don't usually come close to the water's we patrol. Usually a couple of one hundred meters out." Fish said signaling to Ross to follow her and they made it to the shed. "Here, is where we keep all the equipment. Flags, signs, our boards." Fish said opening the shed door with one lift. Ross was impressed with Fish's strength.

"Do we have to carry it?" Ross asked Fish and she shook her head.

"Don't be ridiculous. We just have to load them on the buggy and then I'll drive them to the other side of the beach." Fish smiled and Ross helped loaded the signs onto the buggy.