Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Bright sunshine woke Chloe from a deep and nightmare-less sleep. She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt so refreshed. Then she glanced at the clock. It was half past five! Damn you jetlag! It was no use she'd not get another wink of sleep. Sitting up, she ransacked her rucksack until she found her training kit, cycling shorts and a tight vest, as well as her lightweight running shoes. Dressing quietly, she slipped down the two flights of steps, left a brief note on the white board in the kitchen, then hit the streets.

This was the golden hour for her, the calm before the storm of the day, the sun just rising over the City buildings deep in the inner harbour to her left. Finding the wooden boardwalk that Phil had told her about the previous evening, she broke into a gentle jog. After a few minutes she stopped to stretch her limbs, then kicked into a decent pace. Smiling as she passed a few dog walkers, and waving to the early boat owners who were heading off to who knew where, she was breathless through both the effort and the exhilaration of her location.

Crossing the bridge she hit the inner harbour proper and stopped to stretch out a tight hamstring. It was a while since she'd run this far. It was then she spotted the enquiring nose of a white seal looking up at her from between two wooden pillars that disappeared into the cold, millpond harbour. It brought a smile to her face. She was amazed.

Turning, she retraced her steps, and was amazed to see it was almost six thirty when she returned to her brother's house. Didi was in the kitchen filling the coffee machine when Chloe stepped in through the back door.

                "Hey Chloe! I saw your message; I thought you'd be catching up on your sleep!"

Chloe grinned, stretching her triceps as she regained her breathing, "I woke so early, and what a great way to see the town! And..." she dropped her arms, "I saw a seal! Real in the sea, not a zoo!"

Didi laughed, "you'll see plenty of them! You should take one of the little passenger ferries over to Fisherman's wharf...they follow the boats hoping for some treats sometimes!"

Chloe's eyes widened, "amazing!"

                "Breakfast? I'm about to make some pancakes."

Chloe smiled appreciatively at her sister-in-law, "I need a shower then I'll just take some cereal of something. Thanks though, I love pancakes!"

This was to be her first day of looking after the children and she wanted to be ready. So after a quick shower she dressed in her favourite cut off denim shorts, a strappy vest and some flipflops - she had travelled light.

                "So I think I know where everything is!" Chloe offered as she re-entered the kitchen. Her brother was there now tucking into a pile of pancakes. Taking a mug she filled it with coffee and turned to Didi.

                "I've left a schedule for the kids. I mean it's not like they are religious in their routine, but they do like certain things for lunch. Cereal is above the sink"

                "That's great." Chloe opened the cupboard and found a large bag of granola.

Joining them at the breakfast bar, she had last minute instructions and hand drawn maps to the nearest park, supermarket and play centre.

At just after seven thirty they both left, leaving her home with the two sleeping children.

She was drinking another cup of coffee in the lounge with the news telling her all that had happened in the region, when she heard a voice behind her. Turning she saw Carter helping his brother down the stairs.