Chapter Three

Chapter three

Chloe gave a sideways glance at the hot stranger sat beside her and gasped all over again. He was watching her with an amused look on his face. Smiling at her bewilderment. And boy was she bewildered. She glanced around the bar repeatedly and saw the groups of beautiful women, chatting and laughing, every now and again she caught the odd surreptitious glance from one and they had every right to be jealous. This man was quite staggering in the looks department. And he'd rescued her. Not that she was in any real danger, more a slightly threatening and awkward position, but he had made it easier to escape from the games of the women who she had no intention of offending bluntly.

Turning in her seat, she took a deep breath then met his humour filled eyes, "I'm Chloe!"

Dark eyes gazed at her outstretched hand before rising to look at her again, after a poignant and prolonged gaze, he broke into a grin, revealing a set of perfect white teeth. And Chloe even found those hot. When his fingers wrapped around her hand, he gave a squeeze more than a shake, her heart stepped up a notch, racing like a train in her chest, if her felt it too, that frisson of excitement, he hid it well. The same confident and amused grin, dark intriguing eyes looked down at her.

                "Luke." The single word was like a drug, and she had to shake her head to leave his eyes.

Dropping her hand she lifted the vodka and took a sip.

                "Do you like?"

She glanced at the drink, then back up at him, unsure whether he meant the drink or himself...he seemed that confident. She'd never been this out of her depth in her life, and she was determined not to let his grand gesture floor her like this.

                "I'm not the greatest vodka fan, more a beer head, but to save me from being a prize in that game," she nodded in the direction of the three women who were sat away from them laughing, unperturbed by all they'd caused, "I'd frankly drink anything and there are a lot worse you could've chosen. And in case you didn't mean the drink, the same goes for you!"

She worried that she'd blush, but she managed to hold his gaze, and was rewarded with a subtle change, his eyes widened and there was the hint of his own blush. It was a momentarily lapse, and leaning his arm along the back of her chair, he grinned.

                "Really? You're comparing me to vodka?"

Was she? She knew that too much of him would stop her thinking straight. Giggling instead she raised the glass and dramatically looked at it, then glanced at him, "hmm, I think I can read the vodka a little easier!"

He laughed and it was a great sound, "has anyone told you that your accent is delightful?"

It was her turn to laugh, "you have no idea how many times I've had to say H-erb, O-re-gano and arse this evening!"

                "I'll argue with the way you say erb and oreg-ano, but I think your arse is perfect!"

It was such a ridiculous line that they both burst into laughter, the ice finally broken.

Throwing his own vodka down his throat he turned to her, "beer then?" Her grin was all that was needed. A few minutes later he returned with two.

                "So, what was the score earlier with the girls? You looked so uncomfortable!"

Chloe nodded, sipping her beer, "I had come out with my sister in law, she plays hockey with these girls. Apparently I breach the hockey helmet rule?"

He shrugged unknowing so she explained what Debbie had told her as she’d left.

                "Ah," his smile was so enticing, "just nice to know that through the hockey hat rule I get a chance to spend time with a Britchick!"