Chapter Seventeen

Chloe didn’t see his family again, they flew home the following day and Luke threw himself into his training. There was however, a real change in him, and it worried Chloe. In the time they’d been together he’d not held back, was never reticent, but in the days after his parents left he was quiet and distant.

After the third night of his ‘late training’ and avoiding of her, she borrowed Didi’s car at seven o’clock and drove to his house. He wasn’t there, but had every intention of waiting. Eight pm a car pulled into the drive behind her and she jumped out.

Luke emerged from his vintage car looking baffled, wary and possibly a little angry, “what are you doing here?” He was too polite to sound angry, but there was no humour in his voice.

Chloe crossed the ten steps to stand in front of him, “I haven’t seen you since Sunday night. It’s Wednesday. I miss you!”

Groaning he rested his hands over his face, “I can’t...” Shaking his head he dropped his hands, “I think you should leave!”

As he made for the house she refused to let him do this, “Loukianos Petrakis, are you running away from me?” When he didn’t answer, she added, “or are you struggling to deal with the fact that your family aren’t perfect? Because I can tell you that no one is, and we all have shit like this!”

He turned back to her, “my Dad gave me an ultimatum, give up lax, go back to the East Coast, toe the line, take over the business, or lose my family.”

                “Shit!”

Luke nodded, “shit indeed. So I have to make a choice, and accept that the man who supposedly loves me can force me to make that choice.”

                “I didn’t help that cause.” Suddenly Chloe could imagine that this was a backlash at her outburst, she’d wanted his parents to appreciate him, not disown him. But he was strong, independent, and VERY good at what he did. Looking at his lowered eyes, the haunted look on his gaunt face, she wanted to make him better. But she was leaving in two weeks; she’d be deserting him too.

Jumping up the steps, to join him at the door, she cupped his face and smiled at him, “but I was incensed at the way they treated you. You are such a wonderful man; I meant every word I said to you...and them.”

His eyes studied her face, but he couldn’t find the words to portray how he felt. So she continued, “I’ve lived in the shadow of my brother all my life, he was the funny one, the good looking one, vivacious, vicarious - you name it, it described him. I know how you’re feeling...Your sister! What a spoilt cow! Have you spoken to your other sisters? Don’t you get on with them?”

Luke shook his head, “I know you mean well Chloe, but can you honestly tell me that your parents ever disregarded your feelings, your future for him?”

She nodded, “I can! All the time! He was a great sailor, went on a course when he was about ten, after that every holiday involved boats, for him. My horse riding lessons were overshadowed, my music lessons put on the backburner. Then at sixteen he gave it all up to chase girls. We were close, but I was forced to go to the same university as him, as it was cheaper for my parents to have us in the same house. I wanted to go to Liverpool...he wanted London. This is the unfair nature of families!”

                “But you don’t hate him for it, or them?”

She laughed, “I gave in to his every whim too. We all loved Owen. I admit he wasn’t the most considerate, and he wasn’t as spoilt as Tiana seems to be, but he did rule the family.”

Luke slid an arm around her shoulder, “and that’s why he leaves such a void?”

It wasn’t a question that warranted an answer, and the waft of emotion that overwhelmed her caused her to lean into him, and fight a few tears. Luke kissed her forehead, and led her into the house.