Chapter 18

"We're here!" Courtney says excitedly shaking my arm. I force open my eyes. The sun gleams high above in the cloudless sky. Birds chirp in the magnificent trees. 

"Already?" I mutter closing my eyes and lying back down on the seats. 

"Kelly!" Courtney squawks. "Wake up!"

"Fine, fine" I say propping myself up on one elbow. Suddenly I remember the dream I had last night. I remember it so clearly. Which is strange because normally I don't remember my dreams. I frown. Clearing my throat I say. "So," 

When I pause Courtney says "so?"

I suck in a deep breath. "I had this dream"

Courtney looks confused. "What about it?" 

"Um, i'm probably being dumb, but In my dream there were these two guys..."

I tell her every little detail in my dream. She listens nodding her head.

"So, what do you think?" I finish

"Think about what?" she replies

"About the dream you idiot." I playfully slap her arm. She pulls it away laughing. I laugh too. These moments are rare, laughter is not very common for me anymore.

'I think, just do what they say for now, we don't anything better to do, but if you ask me, it's nothing, just a dream." Courtney says. 

"Okay, in the mean time, whats for breakfast?" 

***

We sit outside on the grass eating pretzels, bags of crisps and drinking Raspberry Soda. A very healthy breakfast. I have a pretzel half way to my mouth when I hear a twig snap. I whip my head around. "shh" I whisper. Courtney does as I ask and we both listen. 

"what is it?" Courtney whispers. 

I shake my head. "it was probably some animal, but can we go back inside the car, just to be safe?"

"Sure" We grab the remains of our 'breakfast' and head into the SUV.  I lock the doors. After seeing that guy with a gun on the side of the motor way i'm kinda a little freaked out.

"what did you here?" COurtney asks me.

"It was nothing" I reply.

"Just tell me, please?"

I sigh. "Okay, I heard a twig snap, behind the building with the red door"

Courtney's face goes pale. "Come on lets go."

"what, it was nothing, I was just being an idiot."

"Shut up Kelly" Courtney says turning the key. the car doesn't start. She try's again. and again. "No, no you have to be kidding me!" she exclaims.

"whats wrong?" 

"the battery's dead" she says, I glance at the dashboard. 

"We're out of fuel anyway, come on, we can find another car." I say

"No! we have to go right now!!!" 

Confused I let Courtney grab hold of my wrist and yank me outside. I hear footsteps behind us. They grow louder and louder with each second.

"RUN!" Courtney screams, not bothering to be quite anymore.

Together we sprint down the road and into a forest. The thick vegetation scratches my limbs and face. we have been in the forest for about 6 minutes when my foot falls into a rabbit hole. I trip and my ankle twists. It takes everything I have not to scream. My vision goes blurry and i see black in my peripheral vision. Courtney rushes to me, her face is full of panic. "I will find you" she whispers before running deeper into the forest. Before I pass out I see someone come to me. "Courtney" I whisper. But it's not Courtney, it's Brian. He's the last thing I see before I fall into darkness. 

I have a dream again. It's me and the same to guys. 

"Kelly before we tell you where to find us" The man says. "You need to know, this is no normal dream.  We all are really having this conversation."

"what, how is that possible?" I ask not believing him.

"well, as you know, nothing kills you, well except old age of course."

"so, what does that have to do with this?" I ask secretly relieved I will eventually die.

"so, what I mean is that you have a gift." he pauses. "Ethan here, he has a gift too"

"Which is?" I ask

"well, we don't really have a name for it,  but what he can do is, he can enter someones mind while they sleep" The man says.

I nod. This is just so weird. "Oh, so your saying this is weird huh?" Ethan says "what about you being invincible?"

"Wait what?!" I exclaim "How did, how did you know that was what I was thinking?"

"I can enter peoples minds while they sleep, therefore I can read there thoughts." Ethan replies like Im the dumbest human ever.

"oh......"

"Anyway Kelly you-" The man starts but interrupt, he doesn't like it.

"You know my name, it's only fair I know yours" I say, my voice filled with authority.

The man makes a hmping sound then says "the names Steven."

"thank you" I say back.

"Now, that you know that unneeded information, I need to tell you where to find us."

He pauses like he's waiting for me to say something. I don't. "We are inside the W-"

Suddenly I am awake. Someone is shaking me, but everything is to blurry for me to see. "Wake up Kelly" I recognize the voice immediately. Adrian.