Chapter 20

The last time I saw Jackson was at the party, the night everything in my life fell to pieces. I didn't really expect him to still be alive. It's now that i'm starting to reconsider my thought us and a few others being left. I reckon there are more, much more, than I thought. 

"Jackson" I say slowly. "What are you doing here?" 

Jackson sighs. "Adrian," He pauses looking down at his dead body. "was going to give me some of, what he calls ' the cure' if I helped. Kelly, i'm so sorry, I didn't know you were the one he wanted, really, I didn't" 

I sigh. "You actually wanted it?" 

He looks around. Then speaks. "You don't understand, no one but YOU is immune to Enobla."

His words hit me with such force I stumble back. "W-what do you mean?"

Jackson looks around again. "Kelly, no one is really immune, they just haven't caught Enobla yet. You however, it wont kill you. I think you know why"

I nod. "So, everyone wants me, to, um, somehow get the 'Cure' from me?"

"Exactly" Jackson looks behind me at Adrian. 

"How, did you find me anyway?" 

"Before you left, Adrian planted a tracker in your back." Jackson answers

I try to twist my back to see, I can't, my back looks normal, like it always has. "Can you get it out?"

Jackson shakes his head, brown curls fall into his eyes, he brushes them away, only for them to fall back. "I'm afraid I can't, I dont know anyone who would, god, I dont know anyone at all." He pauses, thinking. "The only thing you can do is to shut down the tracker." 

I look up at him with pleading eyes. "Do you know how?" I hear a door slam open down stairs. Fear comes over Jackson's eyes. 

"These guys have been tracking us ever since you left that house, well according to Adrian."

I nod. "I know who they are" 

Jackson eyes me with confusment "you do? They are like killing machines. Each time we only just manage to escape them."

I hear people rushing up the stairs. "Get behind me!" I whisper frantically at Jackson. Me gives me a look then does as I say. Just in time too. The door suddenly bursts open, flung so hard splinters fly through the air and lightly pierce my skin. Seven men rush through the door and stop dead still when they see me and Jackson, they look over my shoulder and also see Adrian slumped on the floor. 

"Kelly" A husky voice that immediately I do not trust  calls out. "Step away from the boy, he is dangerous." 

I glance back at Jackson, he is shaking with fear. The words scaredy cat pop into my head, but immediately are pushed away when the man says. "Now!" 

I look at him, my eyes bore into his skull. "No" I say calmly. 

The man who spoke looks truly confused. A lady whispers something in his ear, he nods. 

"My name is Emma" she says stepping forward. "We are here to get you away from these criminals and back to safety, I'm sure you received our messages and you know who we are."

I don't like these people. "I may may know who you are, but how do I know I can trust you? How do I know you won't just use me for" I raise my hands and bend two fingers on each hand up and down. "The Cure?" 

"we would never use you for, what ever the Cure is" She replies in a fake confused voice, mastered by years of practice.   

"What did you do, as a job before this, this"

"Apocalypse" Jackson finishes for me.

I nod "Apocalypse"

She hesitates for a brief moment before saying "I was a teacher." 

What ever, these people are lying to me, I know it. I turn my head to Jackson "He's my friend, let him go, he wont cause any harm"

The man who first spoke hisses. "Thats what you think"

"Thats what I know!" I say emphasizing the word Know.

"Besides" I say "I don't trust you, Emma, If thats even your   real name, plus, I know you werent a teacher, and I know you've heard of the cure and I know, you aren't here to keep me safe, your here to use me for yourselves." I spit the last word.

A haughty smile spreads across her lips. "Your a very smart girl Kelly, and i'm afraid since you have figured every thing out you, will have to come with us the Hard way"

I laugh "and what would that be?" 

Her smile grows larger. "We take you by force, then kill the boy"

I glare at her. "what's the easy way." behind me I can feel Jackson shaking. 

"The easy way" She starts. "is you simply come with us, and we let the boy go." She pauses looking at Jackson. "either way you come with us though."

I turn to face Jackson. He looks back at me with pleading eyes I sigh. "Fine, I chose the easy way, but before you take me, I want to watch you let him go." 

'Rachel' nods "Go" she simply says to Jackson. Jackson doesn't look back at me, he just runs. I look out a smeary window as he tears down the street.

 Satisfied I ask "where are we going?"