9. Warm Wine

Once, when the world seemed good and full of endless riches and opportunities for those big and small, Sera would have thought living in a palace would be wondrousâan endless possibility of adventures. Having worked in one for years had her rethinking that dream. Palaces were largeâtoo largeâand full of unfriendly staff who resented those they served because of how little they felt in comparison. As long as those that called the palace home never found themselves wanting, they never saw the servants that provided them with every comfort their wealth had to offer. The men and women who made sure the palace was running smoothly were ghosts, invisible and forgotten save when they caused trouble.

Sera was not one to resent those that employed her and gave her coin to feed her small family. She was not foolish enough to see fault in employment when so many had none or were trapped in the slave trade. Her friend Nena, on the other hand, found a reasonable amount of enjoyment in complaining and moaning about how much they did and how little it seemed to matter. Today's topic was courteously provided by the princess, who had fashionably demanded a change in scenery in her private quarters.

Sick, she claimed to be, of the frostbitten blue drapes that adorned her windows and even further put out by the old, sun-bleached rugs shipped at her request just two years ago from Cyllindale. It all had to go and be replaced with something far more comforting and cozy for the cold, winter months that stretched ahead.

"Could you imagine," Nena exclaimed, "having to deal with looking at those patterns a day more? I wonder sometimes how our dear princess handles it all. I mean, look at those vases! Clear cut crystal that reminds any one with half a mind of ice. We should have replaced them with those wooden ones long ago, honestly. Far more appropriate."

Sera looked at Evelynn who was shaking her head, despite the smile stretching across her narrow face.

"I am serious, girls." Nena placed both her hands on her wide hips. "You may smile and joke, but our princess has really been suffering. We should be more sympathetic to her needs."

"Of course." Sera sighed. She was balancing on a ladder as she rearranged the new drapes, making certain that the men who had replaced the rod had not damaged any of the expensive fabric or left any greasy marks on the golden rod. "I suppose we have been rather inconsiderate to our princess if one were to truly think about it."

"Could you imagine" âEvelynn said, her tone close to a whisperâ "Being able to choose. Can you imagine having a choice in what you wear and what you see and who you meet?" She sighed, her blue eyes glazing over the way they did when her thoughts wandered to things those around her could not see. Her long fingers paused in their polishing. She sighed, a small sound, like a waif floating in a breeze.

Sera scaled down the ladder and dusted her hands on her apron. "I'd imagine it could grow tiresome." She grinned. "Imagine having to wash more than one outfit. No wonder they have to hire an entire household staff to do anything. One person cannot possibly be faced with so many choices and be self-sufficient."

Nena laughed, shaking a newly covered pillow furiously. Along with new drapes, carpets and decor, the princess' bed had been covered with a warmer goose down throw and pillows. Woolen blankets and fur throws were spread at the foot of the bed, in case the fire or the warming pan that was run under the pallet was not enough.

"One night being self-sufficient, and our dear princess might see the charm in our ways. Bloody hell, I'd pay a man that could make that happen." Nena gave the pillow one final blow and placed it jauntily on the settee, then pushed back her dark fringe with the back of her hand and pursed full, cynical lips.

"With what coin?" Evelynn smirked.

"With whatever coin I could spare."

"Which ain't much."