42 | Untold Truths

When Chase slipped into the room there was a silent sigh that was released from all within. Misty was sitting on a waist-high cabinet filled with liquor and crystal ware. Shogan had protested when she had taken preference to the piece, but had only expressed so with a grimace and another swig of his drink. 

Misty had spent the good portion of the hour, swinging her legs back and forth, while her hands kept busy by unravelling a crochet tablecloth that had been unfortunately lying nearby. Shogan had once again grimaced and this time, after downing his drink, muttered a string of curses that were unrecognizable to both the light-haired girl and Kole.

The return of Chase brought Kole and the others to their feet. A quick inspection from head to toe of his friend told Kole nothing had befallen him in the time they had separated, but the expression spoke of news.

“Misty is right,” he said softly, shaking rain from his hair and dusting droplets from his shoulders. “They are searching high and low for you. Saw a group of them threaten a merchant on Fairchild Street and another almost bludgeon a man to death who defended your honor.”

“Well, that was not bright of the fool,” Shogan scoffed. “Defending a man hunted for the death of a King - he deserved what he got.” Shogan was drunk, slurring his words and throwing his hands in front of him in elaborate patterns. “What else you got to say, eye? Golden?”

Chase gave the thief a leveled look before removing his coat and taking a seat across from Kole. “Their are no reports of the royal kids being missing and I got someone’s word that they are safe and back at the palace, unharmed.”

Kole narrowed his eyes. “So this was just an attack on the King?”

“Then why did that archer that hushed him dagger himself?” Misty tilted her head, her legs finally still. “I told you what I saw, he shot and then he killed himself. Was no mistake in it. It was no attempted kidnapping or nothing.”

They had been discussing the possible reasons for the attack on the parade. When Misty had told them of the man who had shot two arrows into the King’s belly and then taken his own life, they had immediately thought foul-play. They had sent Chase out to gather what information about what had happened at the palace during the time of the parade, but to no avail.

“You sure there was no commotion at the palace?”

“Not that anyone is aware of.”

“Gossip spreads like the plague in that cesspool,” Shogan sneered. “If anything did happen, no one would keep quiet about it. They would spread it around like they would sweet dough in that awful golden syrup they make. Terrible to get out of wool. Messes up the fabric’s texture.”

“There’s more,” Chase said, ignoring the drunk man, “I was barely able to move around the streets without being searched by Peacekeepers. They were everywhere: on the rooftops, streets, back alleys. Getting around the city is going to be close to impossible for a few days. We need to push back the plan.”

“Dethal will suspect something when he does not hear from you. I won’t allow you to risk lying to him.” Kole ran his fingers through his hair. “We agreed the sooner the better.”

“Kole, they have had only a few hours to close in on the city, imagine what they are organizing and who they are recalling. We won’t even be able to leave this forsaken place,” Chase said.

“Hey!”

“It’s a whorehouse, Shogan. It has forsaken written in its definition.”

“If you were half as smart as you think you are, Golden, you would recognize it as a place of worship. Not all of mankind worship intangible beings. Some of us enjoy the visceral and very earthly pleasures of life and decide to devote our souls to such matters.”