19. Dead Men Walking

Adrenaline. It coursed through Kole's veins as he leapt into action. The little man with the spectacles was out the dart like a hare after seeing a fox. The door slammed in Kole's face, but Kole didn't need it. He sprung through the window Misty had opened, folding his body and landing in a crouch on the other end. He looked up, seeing the retreating figure of his prey.

He heard Stone bellow after him, felt another land behind him, but didn't look to see who. He darted after the man, feeling the adrenaline powering his legs. The little man was fast; he darted down an alley with the nimbleness of a child. But Kole didn't need alleyways. He ran up a mountain of crates and threw himself forward. He felt no pain and a part of him reveled in the freedom he felt in his body as all ailments were forgotten. Replaced with the need, the hunger to pursue.

He rolled to his feet as he landed on the roof, regaining his speed. He kept to the roof's edge and peered down. He flew past one street, two street, three. He saw his mark in the fourth, peering over his shoulder. Kole grinned. He pushed to go faster, preempting where the man would run and jumped. He fell, caught a windowsill, a drainpipe and finally his feet hit the ground. He landed a few paces in front of the man, blocking his escape.

The man gave a startled yelp and fell backwards. Kole uncoiled his body. He rolled his shoulders back, straightened his neck and clenched his fists. Anger fed his adrenaline to continue its possession. He was submerged in its white hot heat. He wanted to break the man in front of him, watch him scream and suffer until he was as biddable as a trained dog.

"K-Kole."

The man's stutter brought his rage to a crashing halt. It did not disappear, not entirely, but the fear in the man awoke what control Kole had developed over the years. The man trembled in front of him. A reaction that had once given Kole pride, but now shamed him. Killer. Murderer. Assassin.

"You c-caught me unaware," the man fumbled to his feet. His spectacles were askew and with a shaking hand, the man straightened them.

"You weren't expecting me?" Kole titled his head. "Strange, since I owe you an unannounced visit."

The man's laugh was nervous. "You mean you owe the Thief King–"

"Are we calling him that?" Kole stepped forward, causing the man to stumble backwards. He did not fall though.

"Well..."

"Where is he?"

The man looked behind him. "Not here." He backed away.

Kole sneered. "Where. Is. He?"

"I told you. N-not here. He...he left."

"Left?"

The man nodded quickly. "The night he–"

"–killed my man?" Kole snapped. "No, the night he killed a boy. The night you watched him kill a child."

"I..." the man swallowed. Kole watched as his narrow neck worked, straining under the stress. "I saved your life. I convinced my king you were more valuable alive. I never meant for him to–"

"Are you expecting thanks?"

"No–I–"

"I shall repay blood with blood if you do not tell me where he is."

"You would kill me?"

Kole smirked, closed the distance between them and grabbed the thin neck. "I will do far worse before you meet eternal darkness."

The man struggled, his legs kicked at Kole's shins while his hands tried prying Kole's loose. "I–can't–"

"Kole!" Misty dropped to the ground a jump away, her pale eyes taking in the scene with wide shock. "What be crazing' ye so, mate?"