10 | Robbers on the Road

Scarlet was not the only escort Kole had befriended over the years. Perhaps not as creative or connected as Scarlet, but each proved useful in their own unique ways. Gaining a sympathetic ear in Shogan's brothels was always a personal achievement for Kole, but his targets proved to be disappointments. Each escort admitted that there had been a flux of foreign customers, but none were willing to spend more coin than necessary. Neither had they come with any noticeable injuries.

The brothels left Kole despondent and frustrated with Scarlet's words ringing in his ears. Perhaps it was wise to think of what he was going to do if he failed. Having a backup plan was responsible and something Chase would agree to. He could tell Sera—be honest about what happened. She'd likely refuse to budge and tell him to fight back. She'd disregard the danger to her person, in fact, she'd probably volunteer to be in danger. Arguing with her was never a good plan either. She had a knack with words that Kole did not. He could spin a pretty web when it suited him but matched against Sera, his wits left him. She was the only woman that had ever left him speechless. If he denied her help she would go behind his back and try help him in secret.

No, he could not tell her. Telling her would only nudge her towards trying to help him and he did not want her help. It was too dangerous. The further away from him she was, the safer she was. Scarlet was right in that regard. Perhaps he could convince her to leave Lethilian, take Hannah and seek a home where it was safer. He clenched his fists, a pain so strong, so clear tore into his chest at the mere thought. He could not send her that far. If she was completely out of his reach, he would have no way of knowing she was safe. At least in the city he would be able to post sentries.

He stopped in his tracks. Without realizing it, he had fallen into the mindset that he had already failed. Doubt, a milestone in every great plan's path to failure.

He jumped across a street and landed in a crouch on the next roof. His side ached, but whatever Scarlet had rubbed into his skin, and whatever she had laced his drink with, was helping him move easier.

His feet were his map. They were deciding where he was headed, unsurprising they were taking him towards the palace, towards her. She would be finishing soon and would walk back with her friends to fetch Hannah at Porters.

A sound to his left made him swivel round. He regarded Chase with an appraising eye. "Almost had me there, mate."

"I wasn't trying to sneak up on you," Chase shrugged. "So, anything?"

Kole scratched his brow. "I don't know. Scarlet had little to say that was of use. Her thoughts were more towards if I fail—what then."

"Wise thoughts in a sense. A little morose." Chase stopped in front of him, rolling his shoulders. The clothing under his cloak were tight and smart, Kole would have laughed at the ridiculous waistcoat except Chase was displaying his discomfort enough for him to be satisfied.

"What did the inns have to say?"

"Just one inn. And it had some interesting information."

"Anything useful?"

Chase drew a deep breath. "I might have a scent for us to follow. I can tell you all about it, but we need a good load more than the two of us if we are to achieve anything."

Kole raised his brow, running his tongue along the back of his teeth. "You have a plan?"

"Aye."

"If it ain't stupid, I ain't agreeing to it."

Chase rolled his eyes and slapped Kole on the shoulder. "Come, we have until sunset."

"What's at sunset?"