32 | Truth Lies

After the fireworks, it was as if the gates opened and the festivities truly started. Dancing and feasting were tame pastimes until the Peacekeepers grew tired, performing their duties with less attention. By this time last year, Sera and Kole had been alone and so tangled with one another the world had fallen away; it was just them, two bodies breathing each other in and out with one mind.

This year, Sera stood alone in a sea of people awash with drink and merriment. She had left Nena and Evelynn, not wanting to taint their happy night with her misery. It was unfair of her to spoil a night that should be enjoyed and soaked up. During the walk through the stands, the open alehouses, and the impromptu dance floors, Sera wished for wings so she could lift over the heads between her and safety, fly home, and crawl into bed.

She kept her head down so as not to catch the eye of any drunkard, her hand tucked at her side, close to her pocket where the remainder of her weekly stipend hid. The crowd milled around her, their bodies jostling and grinding. One man stood back as Sera reached him, right into her way, and she tripped to avoid him. He apologized with a series of pleading hand gestures, and an offer to buy her a drink, but she refused and turned away.

And that's when she saw him.

He had come, but not for her.

She blinked, wanting his face to change when she opened them again, praying it did. It didn't. It was his face. Kole's face. Smiling, laughing as if mirth was the only thing he knew. His posture relaxed and confident, he leaned towards the man and woman he stood with.

He had come, but not to her.

Sera debated storming up to him and demanding an explanation. She deserved as much, but she wasn't the type to cause such a scene. She wasn't the type to perform jealously for a crowd of strangers to witness, and she definitely was not the type to grow angry with Kole without giving him a chance to explain himself. So she approached him, schooling her face to show a hint of confusion, and not the hurt that demanded to be felt.

Kole's head perked up when she was a few feet away. His eyes met hers and narrowed. They were cold, angry even. He extricated himself from his two companions. Sera didn't recognize either, but the woman, with her bright red hair and luscious figure, turned and seemed to know Sera was the reason for Kole leaving. Animosity raged from her beautiful, painted face; big, green eyes threw arrowheads and full lips pursed with a promise for pain. Sera dragged her gaze to Kole who was closer now, and still not looking at her.

"Sera," he said when he was close enough to be heard.

She waited for an explanation, but none came. "I was waiting by the square. I thought..."

Kole took a deep breath, his whole body growing with it.

"Kole," Sera reached to touch his arm and was surprised when he yanked his arm free. "What's wrong? What have I done? Have I...done something wrong?"

His eyes latched onto hers. "I'm working Sera, not everything is about you. I can't make everything about you."

Sera swallowed, her arms feeling heavy and useless. What were they meant to do if not reach for him? She wrapped them around her torso. "Excuse me? When did I–"

"It doesn't matter."

"Don't do that. Don't shut me down to shut me out. I can't..." She repositioned, bracing herself. "I wish you would talk to me, Koltin. I cannot read your mind, and you are acting as if I have done something wrong."

"I can't talk to you, Sera. You don't want to hear about what I have to say, about what I have to do."

"Of course I do. I've always–"