Chapter 3: Rexy

"Let me get in there! For the love of god," My voice dropped to a whisper as I tried to control myself. Ben had his arms fixed before his chest. He was standing between me and the entrance to Rexy's paddock like a man of steel.

"It's too dangerous," Ben remarked as emotionless as possible. I gritted my teeth and bit back a frustrated growl. Behind the observation glass, something rustled the high bushes, and Rexy's pained moan was heard.

This was driving me crazy. It had been ages since Rexy had gotten sick. In fact, I barely recalled if Rexy had ever fallen ill before, except for that time when he injured his front right claw because he got too excited about the crank with the lump of meat.

Turning on my heels, I headed out of the block. Inhaling deeply, I forced more air into my throat. The ache in the deep of my chest due to my rapid movements chained me to the situation, keeping me on the ground. I kept doing so, until I felt like I was a balloon that was going to blow up in any minute.

"Stacey?"

First name basis. Overly concerned tone for a stranger. I dug on my heels to glance up into Owen's eyes. It had been a week since he had moved into the bungalow from across me. To my surprise, we had become mutual friends. I nodded curtly and attempted to walk around him. Owen placed two large hands of his on my shoulders to steady me. "Everything's okay?" he asked, fully knowing the answer.

"No," I grunted and opted to stand before him, allowing him to read the rage in my expression.

Worries clouded Owen's face. Why did he care anyway? "Can I help you with anything?" He questioned, genuine and sincere. Finally, confronted by a person that actually wanted to help, I sighed and leaned back on my heels. Sensing my relief, Owen retreated his hands and I squared myself under his observant gaze.

"Rexy is sick," I began, almost out of breath again when the matter came into my mind, clear like a beacon. "I need to get into the paddock to see him. I need to know if he's alright."

Owen froze for a moment before tilting his head, crossing his arms in front of his chest, something that he would do when he was confused and wanted to get into business. But he didn't damn well know how his habit was helping him to flex his ridiculously firm arm muscles.

"But," for a moment, Owen struggled for words. "Isn't that dangerous? Surely, Rexy has his own vet-"

"That's going to dart him and check on him when he's unconscious. He's never going to trust me after that."

Owen understood. None the less, he shook his head while his gaze faltered. I narrowed my eyes on him. "This can cost your life," Owen muttered, rubbing a hand over his face in exasperation. "I'm not sure-"

For the first time, I was desperate enough to reach out and grabbed his arm. I couldn't remember last time when I deliberately made human contact except when I was hugging Ben or slapping Claire's arm for her uptightness.

"Please," I lowered my voice. Our gaze locked and Owen blinked.

"Yeah, okay. Sure," Owen dropped his eyes and argument all at once. Something flickered in my chest at his reaction, and instantly, I withdrew my hand. "How do you want me to help you?" When Owen asked once more, he sounded defeated and like he was going to regret this.

"Just so we're clear," Owen shook his head and joined me as we headed back to Rexy's block. "You better damn well make sure I don't regret this."

The corner of my lips lifted as his words matched my thoughts.

So our plan, well, my plan, was to have Owen distract Ben while I sneaked into the paddock. The plan sounded like a kid's play, I knew. But there was no way in hell that Owen would be able to persuade Ben to let me into the disclosure, and once I was within the paddock, they would not be able to retreat rapidly without alarming Rexy.

Once I was in the disclosure, they could not stop me.

Ben definitely looked surprised when Owen and I stormed into the observation deck. His faint glance was torn between the stern expression on Owen and my determined steps. "Well, hello there," Ben greeted and patted Owen's arm. For the first time, I paid attention, and was amused to notice Owen was a few heads taller than Ben. In my mind, Ben was always the biggest figure, the most powerful character after my father. No one could ever stop him. He was invincible.

But I guess the idea was going to change.

With Owen standing before Ben, my father's close friend suddenly seemed smaller, and vulnerable. "Good morning, Ben," Owen said, and I swore he was resisting the urge to send my way a helpless grimace. "I have some matters at hand that I need to talk to you urgently."

That was my cue. Ben's attention was shifted immediately. Guilt seeped into my stomach as I realized I was planning out my plan with Ben's professional response to business. This time, Owen looked in my way deliberately to indicate the inconvenience of having me in the conversation. Ben narrowed his eyes between us, as if he was pondering if this was some foul plays of mine.

Then, decided that the 'matter at hand' that Owen was talking about was probably more important than my previous whining like a child, he walked away from the entrance to join Owen in a corner. I shook my head in disbelief. But this was my cue. Holding my breath, I quickened my steps to near the entrance. Twisting the handle, I pushed down the metal and stepped into the disclosure, ignoring the security guard's and Ben's curse in the background.

I closed the door behind me. The lock fell in place with a soft click. Then I was within the paddock. Everything fell silent instantly. Peering up at the observation deck, I caught glimpse of Ben's paled face and Owen's sole one. The two men were watching me closely, and the block's security guard joined them hastily with shuffled steps.

I gave Owen a thumb up. He nodded gravely, earning a shocked expression from Ben. Owen's eyes never wondered away from me as I approached the rustling bushes. How long had I not been in here with Rexy? The familiar smell of humid air and tropical plants filled my lungs. I was overwhelmed for a heartbeat, then my senses eased down.

A low grumble shook the ground, and the earth was dancing beneath me as Rexy moved. When he had finally stepped out of the block, his shadow casted over me. Being a trainer meant you should never show fear. So I stayed my ground, even when I had to tilt my head all the way back to find Rexy's small eyes.

A small gasp was caught in my throat when Rexy howled. The animalistic noise vibrated in the air, shaking the air particles and my surroundings. I thought my inside was going to burst, with joy and admiration for the animal. Behind me, it didn't take much to guess the horrified expression on my fellow workers.

Focus, I told myself. "Hey boy," I said and held out a hand. My palm was turned to face skyward. This was something that I used to do when Rexy was only a baby dinosaur. Now that years had passed, I wondered if he would still response to me the same way, or he would take the easier alternative and swallow me in a gulp.

With his chest trembling with grumbles, Rexy leaned forwards. I could have sworn a collective gasps was sounded from the observation deck, though it would not be possible for me to hear that because of the designer thick glass that separated the deck and paddock.

Rexy was close, only a hair away. His big, scaled face was filling my line of sight. I leveled gaze with him, making sure we didn't break eye contact. "Easy, boy," I commanded. If I was reluctant and reserved with humans, then I certainly wasn't shy with a T-Rex.

Rexy growled, his teeth bare and I could see clearly into his mouth, and smelled it too. I pressed my lips tight. Despite my love for Rexy, his mouth stunk of blood and meat, and something more complicated. I tried my best not to gag.

Then to my delight, Rexy closed his eyes briefly to lean his head on top of my palm. As if he was aware how much heavier he was than me, his head felt like a sheer touch on my palm, like Rexy was trying his best not to crush me. My heart flee at the thought, and I grinned.

"Good boy," I breathed and scratched his chin. He moaned and jerked away from my hand. The abrupt movement stopped me in my track, and my jaw hung open as I watched Rexy stumble back. With a straggled roar, Rexy fell to his side, his eyes never leaving my face.

He was asking for help.