Chapter 13: Run

As a T-Rex trainer, I had grown used to being around dangers. I was constantly taking risks and living for the thrill. But tonight, it was different.

I was no longer the only one who was in neck-deep danger. As the trees whipped past me, I blinked against the wind and peered at Owen, whose stern face was focused ahead as he led the team forwards. I was allowing the ones that I cared to march straight to a predator's mouth. Next to me, Barry shouted out some coordinates so we could hear him over the roaring engines of our vehicles.

"We should be close!" Barry stated at last. With my heart kicking away in my chest, I pressed on the accelerator even more.

"Be careful!" Owen warned and peeked around us. His raptors were right along the team. I was immensely amazed by how the raptors were taking Owen's order, and this made me think of another possibility...

When we had finally reached the supposed location, where the Indominus was last tracked. We shut off the engines and mounted off silently. Each of us, our trained eyes were alert and bright in the dark. I heaved the long gun up and used my shoulder to support the weight.

My breaths were slow and steady, as I had been trained to do. Licking my lips, I was entirely depend on my instincts and senses as a trainer. Even the slightest drift in the breeze meant something. The crackle of a twinge, the whisper of the steams-

Owen's hand went up and the whole team stilled. No one seemed to be breathing at all. Before us, the bushes swung and suddenly, a humongous figure emerged from behind the veils of leaves. Someone's sharp gasps sounded behind me. The Indominus' white scale dominated everybody's attention.

The raptors were in a line in front of the unnatural creature. Their heads, comparatively small than the Indominus', leaned back in order to gawk at the larger company. One of them howled, the other squeaked.

I stared, my heart skipping a beat as I studied the scene. Something was off, something felt terribly, terribly off putting.

Gradually, as my blood ran cold, the four raptors turned and tilted their heads at us. "Now I know why the doctor wouldn't speak of the Indominus' genes," Owen muttered.

It all clicked in place. The puzzle pieces coming together in my head. With the horror dawning, I spoke softly in disbelief, "It's part raptor."

Without any hesitation, Owen ordered fiercely, "Now!"

Everybody fired. I felt the gun vibrated and recoiled against my shoulder as I pulled the trigger, aiming at the creature that had already begun its escape route. On the other hand, raptors advanced.

Owen would be pissed about us shooting the raptors. We had no choice. I dodged when one zoomed past me, snapping at the poor man by the vehicle. In the chaos I lost my bearing. I stumbled and tripped. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw, with bleeding shock, that a raptor had leaped upon Owen.

I gritted my teeth and stood my ground for once. Raising my gun, I was about to shoot the raptor when someone behind me fired a gas bomb. The raptor was blasted off Owen, and smoke curled up from around Owen. He straightened up and stared, his eyes shone against the flames that had engulfed his dearest raptor.

I was about to head towards him when someone knocked me onto the ground. The wound of my back was barely healing. With a grunt, I attempted to secure my landing with my exposed hands. The harsh ground and sharp twinges dug into my skin as I absorbed the fall.

I inhaled sharply and felt the chaos continued around me. Glancing down at my hands, I wasn't surprised to find them raw and almost bleeding. By contrast to my tiny limps, Owen's large hand came in sight as he knelt before me. Both of us, with our knees buried in the mud, levelled gaze with each other. "Go," I coughed and managed to blur out. The smokes swirled around us as they dispersed into the wider opening of sky above head. "You need to track the thing down."

Owen's eyebrows ceased as his light eyes searched my face, then they fell on my hands. "I should've make you stay with Claire and the others," he whispered guiltily as he gently placed my hands in his.

Troubled, I shook my head despite feeling light headed and forced him to look at me. Noting the stubbornness in my expression, Owen chuckled sadly and dropped his gaze as he continued to examine my injuries. "It's my choice, Owen. Remember? Besides, I'm a big girl," I added playfully in the end, hoping that I could cheer him up. If not, by the slightest bit."

"Of course, you are," Owen muttered and kissed my hands. His lips felt soft against my hands, and his stubbles tickled. Though the opened wounds that were blistered across my skin did not agree so much.

I winced at the nagging pain and Owen apologised in a gush. I laughed, "it's okay, babe. Just go already. This is serious."

Owen froze. With his eyes fixed on me, I frowned in confusion before the truth was drawn on me. Uh oh. I did not just call him that.

There were a lot of times when I had done something tremendously stupid and wished that the ground could swallow me in a big hole. Though nothing could beat this. With my cheeks bright red, and not enough air getting to my lungs, I purposefully looked away while Owen beamed brightly, worriedly threatening to break his cheeks. "Did you just call me babe?" He questioned and leaned in closer. I could almost feel his breath on me. With a gentle hand, he slipped a finger under my chin and tilted my head towards me. "Stacey," he whined and almost pouted. Rolling my eyes, I attempted to struggle out of his grip when he leaned in and kissed me.

I paused, my eyes wide while his closed. There was a million things going on at the same time but somehow, I could only focus on this in my head. His lips were light on mine, but as the situation around us dawned, we felt the burn of the kiss and the urgency to make a promise to each other. Alas, I leaned back and rested my forehead against Owen's. "Go," I whispered breathlessly, "they need you."

Owen's grin brought me back to earth. He stood and helped me up. With his arms around me, I felt safe momentarily as the man looked down at me, a boyish smirk stretched across his face. "You're mine," he remarked.

Rolling my eyes, I took a step away from him. "No shit, Sherlock."

Barking out a laugh, Owen picked up his shot gun and ran towards his motorbike after sending me a flirtatious wink. I sighed and glanced after the man. The raptors were gone now, and most men had eluded. To my surprise, Barry limped towards me and raised a questioning eyebrow and a forced, disapproval expression. It wasn't hard to detect the smile at the corner of his lips.

"So what's our plan, Miss Vigil?" Barry asked once he was close enough. Smiling tiredly, I glanced down at my beaten hands and felt the wound on my back. A plan began to form in my head.

I looked at my partner, knowing full well that it would take a lot of convincing to make him come to the T-Rex enclosure with me.